Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What Neck Is More Tougher To Climate Change?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by B'Aces High, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Alright, i just searched through all the Neck Thru/Bolt-On debates and couldnt find my awnser.

My Exact question being which of the two types of necks are more tougher to climate changes? Or Should be?
    The reason i asked this today is because i have a major heat problem in my apartment. I noticed today that there is slight curve in 3 of my Fenders necks, but i am not very good with all that technical stuff so i dunno if its my eyes being funny. Thank goodness my RIC looks normal and still straight as an arrow.
    Just to let you know i have no control over the heat(Its set to burn the a$$ off Satan himself) and when i say heat...i mean dang HEAT! It gets VERY hot in here. Its not a humidity problem either..its just straight dry heat...i have my windows open and my fan blasting and it aint helping much.

So am i imagining things or are neck thrus tougher than bolt ons? And does anyone have any ideas what i can do to possibly save my Fenders? (short of moving)
    Thanks.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You're in Canada and it's hot? Right now? :confused:

Get a composite-grapite neck if it's really that bad.

3. Thats what im talking about, im in Northern Ontario and its -25 degrees outside right now and i have the windows open and the fan on...and im still sweating my keester off!

'Edit' Btw do you mean like a Modulus bass? Is Graphite supposed to be less movable?

4. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I think that you do have a humidity problem. Necks can warp if there is a change in temperature, or a change in humidity.

The problem is that -25° air can hold very little humidity. Even when it is at 100% relative humidity, or dew point, there is still very little absolute (total) humidity there. When that air is brought inside and raised by 100°F, the absolute humidity (the amount of water vapor present) remains the same. But, since the now-heated air is now has a much higher capacity for humidity, it is now at an extremely low relative humidity level - and this is what the wood responds to. This is the basic idea behind raising the temperature to dry wood in a kiln - whatever the original temperature of the air was, once the temp is raised the relative humidity drops substantially, and the air draws out the moisture from the wood.

This is also the reason that doors in the house that stick in the summer open freely in the winter.

I would strongly suggest either getting the heat fixed so you can shut your windows, or or putting pans of water on your radiators to evaporate, if that is possible.

Fixing the problem should also keep away the sore throat that you are very likely to get right now.

5. So am i making conditions worse with having the fan on and window open?
    The thing is if i dont...ill probally suffer heat stroke :(

6. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Yes, the constant replacement with dead-dry air is making it worse. You'll have have to shut the windows and make the ultimate sacrifice, for the sake of your basses. (Just kidding, of course. Your health comes before your basses'.)

What kind of heating do you have? Maybe we can come up with something to reduce the output.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

How much are the necks on the Fenders curved? It is normal to have a little relief in the neck, unless you are Victor Wooten or something.

As far as which type of neck is affected least by heat/humidity changes, bolt on or neck through makes little difference.

Most affected are single piece wood necks, followed by multilaminate and/or graphite reinforced necks.

Composite necks are the least affected, but they can be affected as well. I have a Zon, and one time I played in 110 degree, very humid Texas heat. The neck bowed a bit and the strings felt very floppy.

Once I got it back inside to an airconditioned place, it was back to normal within a few minutes. And hasn't moved since.

8. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I can't see either Bolt-on or Neck-through being any better in your particular situation. Wood is wood and it will react to changes in humidity. There are some woods better than others though. I think that Wenge hardly ever seems to move, or at least very rarely moves. I also think that Bubinga is pretty sturdy as well. I agree that keeping the window open and fan on is actually worsening your problem. If it's really a huge issue, graphite is your only solution to dramatic climate changes. Your neck won't deviate to any climate changes whatsoever.

9. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    being a canadian myself I've definetly noticed the differences in weather.

I'm right out on the east coast. I can say with assurance and no exageration that my home has the most weather changes in north america within the period of a week. easily!!!

And I have a geddy lee sig. The neck has no graphite reinforcement so neck changing is often. but no warping. normally what I do to get rid of extra unwanted tension or slack I take my strings off and then put them back on. Now string manufacturers and probobly a whole bunch of others may jump on me saying "you can't do that! you're streching the strings!"

From my bass use and the times I've done this I've gotten the result without hurting my neck.
    (I only do this maybe 2 - 4 times a year)

so what ever works.;)

If you are looking for something that doesn't change at all the suggestion for graphite is the way to go. One person I play with said he knew a guy who owned an old steinberger (not the new ones). The neck never changed whether he was traveling, home, etc. and he said the tone was really good.

10. How come is it so hot in your place? You should call the owner of the place and have him/her fix that ASAP.

11. Your Ric could also be fine because they have dual truss rods in the neck...

12. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    To help ease the humidity problem, put water in a bowl or get an evaporator - or however its called. It does good not only to your basses, but to your health too.

Composite necks are known for being weather-resistant; the response to changes in climate depend on the neck wood, as well. There are some woods, that are more stable - or just harder/tougher, like wenge or ovangkol, ...

13. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Yea man. I don't know where you live, but I can tell you that if you don't get the heat problem fixed that your basses won't be the only thing suffering.

14. A Humidifier. ;)

15. I live in a basement apartment so all my vents are either on the walls or in the ceiling. So the bowls of water trick wont work. The heat is set to a fixed rate (natural gas)so adjusting it is out of the question.
    I blocked the vent in my room with an old towel...so its much more cooler there now...so i have been leaving my basses in my room so far. Unfortunately i dont want to block all my vents like this cause i still need some heat so i dont freeze to death in the night lol
    I called the landlord yesterday...and he said he is gonna see what he can do to kill some of the heat flow to my apartment.
    Embellisher, the curves in my Fender necks all look about to be in the same place...so im thinking its supposed to be the natural curve. But when i get some free time im certainly going to get them checked out.
    Maybe i should get a bass with graphite neck in the future to save me from worry lol

16. I live in a small apartment...trust me when i say i have no room for a humidifier...
    I already was thinking of this...unfortunately there is just no room.

Im looking to move in the spring to a bigger and better place...i just have to make it till then lol

17. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    In order to get the whole place livable, you could try blocking off all the vents using duct tape, but leaving maybe 10% of each unblocked.

Hopefuly you have already been able to shut those windows.

18. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I do this in my place and it works. The heating system sucks, and half of the apartment is hot and the other cold. My room in on the hot side so I tape up the vents with packing tape.

I've been wondering about a humidifer for a while now too. What kind should I get? I want something cheap.

19. I ended up buying these new vent grates that can close off all air completely, so i installed them this weekend...and the temperature in here is dramatically reduced. Its quite normal now.

20. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Yep, but it still may be a bit dry, or isnt it? Anyway, its good that the problem is solved