Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What neck-thru - $700 to $800?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basstrader, Aug 5, 2003.

1. I'm considering trading my Roscoe (unfortunately my car broke down and I have to replace it) with a neck-thru bass in the $700-800 range. Any recommendations?

What I've come up with so far:
    Spector CRFM-5
    Carvin BB75 (I'l replace pickups and preamp)
    Peavey Cirrus

What else is out there? What's your opinion?

Here's my Roscoe:
    [​IMG]

Stay Low,

BT

2. My vote is without a doubt the cirrus. It was tops on my list of basses before I went the warmoth route. I still want one, and will no doubt by one in future. Amazing basses, and not just for the price.

3. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    cirrus or spector. Personally like the cirrus, but both sounds and play great.

4. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i say go for the spector first..

steve

5. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI!

Spector all the way. Better yet, borrow the $ and keep the Roscoe. You'll miss it when it's gone:D

Rob

6. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i just thought of one....i just got one...A RIC!!!man let me tell ya what...
    ill trade :D

steve

7. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Of those three, I'd take the Carvin, just because I don't care for the Spector body and feel and the Cirrus doesn't turn me on the way it does a lot of folks here.

But to consider another angle, how about a plain vanilla DPCustom? If you don't pile on the options, those are around that price range. Or a used Yamaha TRB5 (oldstyle, before they went to bolt-on)?

8. Oh, man a Ric! bring me back to the 70's!

From all I've heard about the Carvins, the build and playability are excellent, but the electronics s--- well they leave a little to be desired. So if I find one I may have to upgrade to diffent p'ups and pre. A nice U-retro and some Barts? That would rock.

As for DP, I heard his waiting time was pretty long. and I hear up and down about consistency.

The Spector shape is growing on me. I didn't like it at first either. But the one I tried weighed a ton, being solid maple and all. I've seen some good deals on ebay for USA Tobias/Gibson era basics and classics. Maybe that would be a reasonable choice.

Or if anyone is throwing out a Linc or Dingwall they don't like . . .

Stay Low!

9. Oh, man a Ric! bring me back to the 70's!

From all I've heard about the Carvins, the build and playability are excellent, but the electronics s--- well they leave a little to be desired. So if I find one I may have to upgrade to diffent p'ups and pre. A nice U-retro and some Barts? That would rock.

As for DP, I heard his waiting time was pretty long. and I hear up and down about consistency.

The Spector shape is growing on me. I didn't like it at first either. But the one I tried weighed a ton, being solid maple and all. I've seen some good deals on ebay for USA Tobias/Gibson era basics and classics. Maybe that would be a reasonable choice.

Or if anyone is throwing out a Linc or Dingwall they don't like . . .

Stay Low!

10. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Actually, if you can find a used Tobias from back in the day, that could be very cool. I used to like those a lot.

Having played a lot of Carvins, I don't think their electronics and PUs are so bad. I actually have gotten a number of compliments on the tone with the stock setup, though maybe the Eden and the Acme had something to do with that. Give 'em a try before you resolve to change them. If you do then want to change them, there are a lot of possible options--basically anything in a long J size (unless you get the big HB option, which could complicate replacement). Barts, Duncans, EMGs, Bill Lawrence J-45s, Dimarzios--I've heard of all of them being used.

11. Ouchie!

Actually, the basic design for the 4003 produced today originated in 1957, with the model 4000 bass. So technically, it's not a 70's bass...

...not that there's anything wrong with the 70's!

--jeff

12. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    Don't know about the Spector, but I've owned a Carvin with that neck(LB75 with 5W option) and I've played the Cirrus. I loved the Cirrus neck. You should probably consider what neck width you prefer since the Spector is considerably more narrow than a BB75. Tobias may be narrow spacing as well.
    I like the Carvin so well that I considered another one, but I would not get the humbucker pickup. That way if you wanted, you could have the jazz routes enlarged to fit some soapbars if you so desired. Besides, I've heard nothing good at all about the Carvin humbucker and there isn't, to my knowledge, a drop in replacement for it. Odd-sized or something.

K