1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What new off the rack bass sounds most like an old Kay or Harmony?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MichelD, Mar 3, 2017.

1. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys! Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Nacogdoches, TX
    Here's a modern "cheapie".... a Harley Benton HB-60WB.

Available brand new at Thomann for around $220.00 (plus $31.00 shipping to the USA)

https://www.thomann.de/intl/harley_benton_hb_60_wb.htm

Pretty hard to beat for that cheap, old-timey hollowbody THUMP! (especially with flats!)

Diesel Kilgore and Paul LF like this.
  2. lbbc

lbbc Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Seaford , DE
    It is awesome!!

HaphAsSard likes this.
  3. Loving my reissue
    Kay Jazz Special Bass - K5970V!

4. MichelD

MichelD

May 19, 2014
    No. I was dead serious. OP

Diesel Kilgore and Old Blastard like this.
  5. I had an older Ibanez AFB200 sunburst without the pickguard and all gold hardware.

La Bella white nylon tapes and it was one of my favorites.

It sat on the rack at a local store for years and I made a deal with the owner for it and paid a good price.

I kick myself for ever selling that bass. One of the worst decisions I've ever made...in my life. Honestly.

6. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I have an old Kay "Speed Demon" and I used to have a Harmony H22.

I now prefer my Hofner Ignition Club bass for a simliar hollowbody tone but a bit deeper sounding.

I also have the Ibanez AFB200 in white. Nice instrument but I prefer the smaller size, lighter weight and easier playability of my Hofner Club.

7. Sweet. Wouldn't mind having one of those just for "that sound". Or the Harmony H22 reissue.

My first bass was a '60's H27 from a pawn shop in 1970. Wasn't a "thud" stick like the H22, but a well built good sounding bass in it's own right. I beat the piss outta that bass for two years 'til I got a "proper" bass, a '69 Ric 4001....gave the Harmony away. Can't believe the prices they're fetching today. Looked exactly like this one below. Note the tort details, pretty sure the extra tort made it sound extra awesome! ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JIO likes this.
  8. Nice little herd-o-hollows there. I might have to have one of those intriguing little Fenders with the twin mudders, which model it that one?

(love that Drake too, btw)

Old Blastard likes this.
  9. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    IMG_4744.JPG IMG_4807.JPG
    The Fender is the Starcaster. It's heavy, about 9 to 10 pounds, but has big sound a is all Fender. Great feel and the pickups are huge and expressive. I've since added a new Drake, a fretless "Cricket." Semi hollow

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    Templar likes this.