1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what new pickups for my warwick

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TheMaynorD, Dec 14, 2020.

1. TheMaynorD

TheMaynorD Gold Supporting Member

Aug 28, 2013
    Oklahoma City
    Merry holidays
    Contemplating swapping pickups out of my 94 warwick thumb NT6.
    Currently has a nordstrand 2 band pre and aguilar DCBs.

The aguilars are good pickups, but they are getting pretty beat up aesthetically, and i really love the Jazz pickup tone.

Looking at the Nordstrand Zen Blades, but not sure if it will make a $300 difference.

Hearing some traffic about Ulyate pickups.

Only mandate is P4 size, and preferably a blade or bar style to prevent volume dips.

2. TheMaynorD

Aug 28, 2013
    Oklahoma City
    And....... Go?

ctmullins likes this.
  3. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    what volume dips are you speaking of?

If you want a Jazz tone, I'd consider Nordstrand Jazz Bars. Or if you want blades, perhaps their Big Blades?

Tho I'm not sure if anything will sound like a Jazz bass with Thumb pickup spacing...

4. TheMaynorD

Aug 28, 2013
    Oklahoma City
    So with pole piece pickups there seems to be a tendency, especially on the high C string, to lose volume if the c string gets bent or popped and goes out of the magnetic sensing field of the pole pieces.

In addition, the slightly unorthodox slanted positioning of the pickups makes it very hard to align pole pieces with the strings and not have the strings out of the ideal position over the pole pieces, hence why I am leaning towards bars.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021