1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What next in America?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by lamborghini98, May 13, 2006.

1. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    So... its common knowledge that comedy has gotten more and more depraved as time has passed by. Entertainment in general has lost its innocence more and more. If this is the trend, where else is there to go? Whats comedy going to be like in the future? Whats going to make us laugh or be entertained when humiliating reality TV gets boring? Do you think theres going to be a lot less censorship and more sex on TV? hmm.. thoughts?

2. jokke_v

jokke_v

Aug 15, 2003
    Bergen, Norway
    The depraving might come to an end sooner or later, or at least get less popular. I'm sure people are getting sick and tired from it and will start wanting something more "healthy".

3. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    In the world of comic books this happened a few decades ago. They were getting a little excessive, even by modern standards, and decided to self-regulate...harshly.

The 'comic book code'(? or something like that) was set up to provide a standard for what was allowed in a comic, and what was not. I'm told that it was based on what was allowed in movies at the time, and since movies are waaaaaay more extreme now, I wonder if the comics code has loosened up.

But I see the pendulum swinging the other way, soon.

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    There is no comics code these days...It died quite a while back. Some comics these days are a lot worse than anything you can portray on film.

I personally love the comics that started the SOTI hearings and began the code.

5. StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Nov 6, 2005
    I think Ed Wynn said, "A comic says funny things, a comedian says things funny." Also, "Wit is not a four letter word." It may be the general dumbing down of American society, perpetrated by the lowest common denominator mind set of those who control the entertainment industry that creates depravity.

And also, "You can never go broke by overestimating the gulibility of the American public." There will always be a majority who will follow imposed conventional values, which change as the wind blows...then there is Aqua Teen Hunger Force, which appeals to the minority who fully comprehend the Ultimate Reality of the Universe.

The future is in the hands of the greedy and their simpering lemming-like fools who mindlessly follow their orders, or who are helplessly oppressed by them. The only escape to sanity is through the awareness of this vast Conspiracy operating under the cloak of 'Authority'.

Our personal futures, no matter what our cultural future may become, is in our own hands if we have the wisdom and courage to think for ourselves.

6. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Well said!

7. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    I don't know about you, but I enjoy depraved and sick humor.

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I'll just keep watching Seinfeld re-runs.

-Mike

9. I think we are going to bring back gladiators...not american gladiators, but the roman kind...

10. In America you can be as depraved as you want as long as there aren't any bare crotches, female nipples, naughty words, or anything that challenges the status quo or requires thought.

And all of you will eat it up!

11. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    ya , men in skirts and sandles are a turn-on:D

12. Canada will stop making "We're so Canadian jokes.." and take over all aspects of entertainment in North America.

13. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

14. i was going for the live death on tv, but i suppose you have to appeal to everybody :)

15. Sorry, you'll have to repeat your argument, I was watching Full House. That DJ cracks me up.

Mike

16. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    When has depraved and sick humor not been around?

Also, There are a lot of newer comics out there who do not cross the line (or if they do its slightly).
    Jerremy hotz, Dane Cook, Mitch Hedberg, etc

On other hand in 80's there were a lot of comics who cross the line for those times. Bob Saget come to mind who was "Americas perfect father" with his show and stuff and yet his standup was pretty dirty, and what about Richard Pryor too (just because I am listing to "is it something I said" right now, I bet if I quote it just a bit I’ll get banned).

There will always be both types of humor, just because if you say a dirty word today you wont be thrown into jail for corrupting youth doesn’t mean it will get worse.

Cheers

17. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Haha. +1
    love a good classic. the 90's were good (yet extremely corny)... some of those shows should come back.

18. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium

oh no, a nipple!

Man, that was a stupid episode in American history

19. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    I prefer Frasier reruns myself, but Seinfeld is good too... I wish they'd come out with DVDs of "Newhart" where he was the owner of the inn...

:meh:

But, on topic, I believe it's cyclical like everything else. Things will eventually going the other way.

20. mmmhmmmm. I have said to my wife many times that our world today looks an awful lot like the world portrayed in "Running Man" - Glad I am not alone in that observation.

And I agree. I am slowly but surly watching things like "the Mind of Mencia" and that completely obnoxious, Ron White getting what looks like a lot of attention - and it makes me sad...

However, Dave Chappelle, as 'vulgar' as he can be, is really quite brilliant. And Jon Stewart, Steven Colbert, and that ilk of comic, really show that there is room and demand for intelligent, observant and useful comedy. So I am not in complete despair - I vote with my remote... Mencia? *click* Ron White? *click* Jon Stewart? Ahhhh! Good stuff...

Hopefully our country does not get so used to finding prat-fall, bathroom humor, and other people's pain, entertaining and demands more from it's entertainers. *click*