Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What next?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Finn, Jan 23, 2002.

1. Finn

Finn

Nov 20, 2001
    What should I practice next?

I handle the basic things and I have practiced arpeccios a little.

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Play along to some records. Find some songs that you like and can't play and learn them.

3. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Actually its just as important to learn songs of players that you dont like! Helps you understnad things a litlte more! You might even find that you will like them a bit better!

4. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    psst it's arpeggios

practice your scales/arpeggios untill you can say them and their interval's in your sleep, you can also work on site reading, those are just a couple that i feel are very important to work on. But there are lots of other things you can do too.

5. absinthe

absinthe Guest

Jan 20, 2002
    Great Britain
    ...and while he's doing that, you can improve your grammar. It's "sight" in this case - not "site". :p

6. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    And that isn't really a question of grammar but more a spelling issue, am I right?

I go with Chris and Eric, learn songs. Pick them out using your ear. This will develop your ear and will also let you see how typical basslines are composed in different genres of music.

7. absinthe

absinthe Guest

Jan 20, 2002
    Great Britain
    Not really, no. Both spellings are correct - but both words have different meanings. "Sight" referring to vision, "site" referring to a location.

It's not that important, I just thought it was funny that one person was correcting another's spelling while tripping over their grammar.

Merely a correction in jest. :p

8. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    I will tell you this! My grammer and spelling sucks because i spent all my time in jass class in school! And i dont regret it! Now dont you wish you spent more time learning the musical language then the english language????

9. absinthe

absinthe Guest

Jan 20, 2002
    Great Britain
    Err.....no. ;)

As I said, the above correction was merely made in jest at the circumstances, I'm not normally so pedantic as to correct people's spelling and grammar (I have been known to make mistakes too!) - but now you come to mention it, I really do love the richness and expression of English language. It has a music all it's own. Besides, it's so much easier to learn music once you can communicate fluently with those who are trying to teach you. :p

(And no, I was *not* Henry Higgins in a past life!)

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Not necessarily true - music is a universal language - and lots of musicians have been to study with people who spoke different languages and couldn't necessarily communicate in "words" with them at all!

So western musicians have been to study with African, Indian, Chinese, musicians - etc. etc.
    A lot of 20th century "classical" composers studied Gamelan music without ever learning the language of the native players!

PS Sight and site are "homophones" !

11. absinthe

absinthe Guest

Jan 20, 2002
    Great Britain
    I never said it wasn't possible, just that it's EASIER, is all.... Don't get your knickers in a twist. ;)
    So are "die" and "dye" but you wouldn't want to get those mixed up, would you? And just because they're homophones doesn't mean the useage was right. Those are two different words with two quite different meanings. The correct term is "sight reading", end of story.

It was a joke! One corrector being corrected in turn etc.... (sigh) Never mind...

I'm not about to apologise for my command of the language we (supposedly) share but I am beginning wonder about the general sense of humour round here....

Lighten up! :p

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well - the relationship between teacher and pupil is going to be based on verbal communication most of the time anyway - so written skills in terms of language, don't come into it - especially things like homophones! So I don't see that there is any validity in this argument at all! I was just being "generous" before! ;)

I'm sure that there have been many great musicans who were totally illiterate and it didn't stop them learning in any way; so I would refute that while fluent communication may make it easier to learn, the sort of thing that was at issue here would not be a hinderance at all!

Communication does not have to be written! QED

"Was this just the 5 minute argument or the full half hour?" ;)

13. absinthe

absinthe Guest

Jan 20, 2002
    Great Britain
    It.....was....only....a....joke..... Nah, forget it!
    I was feeling particularly generous today. You got 10 minutes for the price of 5. But don't tell everyone or they'll all want the same. (I only ever do that when I know I'm right, though. Nyah! :p)

14. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Ahh i was just kidding around as well! Actually most of my bad grammer and spelling is because i type so fast and my fingers are to damn big for this key board! And the huge hard lumps at the tips of all my fingers dont help at all!

15. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    yep it sure is

16. I am currently practicing on developing my ear. I will play a song I like and listen to the bass part real close and the try to find it on the bass.