What next?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by The Mole, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Hi, I've been playing bass for a few months now and I think I'm doing pretty well... partly thanks to the people who helped me when I first posted on these boards for newbie advice :)
    I've been teaching myself, just playing my favourite songs and trying out the lessons on ActiveBass .
    Should I begin learning scales (I only know C major :eek: ) and reading notation? I can already read notation for clarinet and alto saxophone, so I guess it wouldn't be too hard :confused:
    I also need to work on dexterity, speed, and build strength in my little finger... any exercise you could suggest?

2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I can help you with speed.

OK, so you know the c scale, thats poifect.

Play that at 160 BPM, or slower if you cant keep up. play it at that spped for, say 30 seconds, then play it at 180 for 60 seconds, then 200 for a minute and a half.

But before you do that exersise, play a song at a reasonable volume, then cracnk ur amp up as loud as it goes, and finger it so softly that it is at the same volume as you first played it. This helps you develop a lighter touch.

Good luck! :)
  3. Memorize the finger patterns of all the scales you can get a handle on. That 'major' C scale you speak of can be transfered to any note on the bass. Just find the root and play the same pattern. Same goes for all other scales ie: Minor, Dorian, Lydian, etc ... find the root and do the pattern(of course it helps to know the notes eventually too).

I was given the good advice of spending at least the first year of my playing devoted to scales and it is paying off in way you could not imagine! I played, and still do play scales til I am blue in the face. I learn songs now and they seem so easy because I can almost tell what the next note is going to be because of my work with scales. You have to get those patterns under your fingers so you hardly think about them any longer -

Remember that this is a long term investment and will start paying off big time down the road. The more solid you build your foundation the eaiser it will be.

Later -
  4. Thanks for you're advice guys, I'll start working on my scales next time I pick up my bass :D
    Is learning to read notation really necessary? How could I benefit from it, apart from knowing note length and other performance indications?