1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What no amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by speedrabbit, May 5, 2006.

1. How many of you use a multi-effects/amp modeller (e.g. POD) into a PA rather than the normal combo/amp + cabs? If so what are the pros and cons of such a setup?

The function band I play in are looking to cut down on the amount of gear we have to lug around and I'm looking to save my back/car's suspension.

Cheers.

Speedrabbit.

2. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I've seen quite a few bass players (usually in jazz situations) who play with just a DI to the board. If you can get the tone you're looking for with your DI, and keep the sound guy from ruining it, it's certainly a viable option.

3. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Using anything - Pod, preamp, DI - straight into a PA works great if:

you have a good PA
    you have good monitors
    you have a good mix/sound person

I used a preamp/DI and a Shure In Ear system. It was fantastic. I had a littel 2 space rack and my bass.

If you are playing different venues and aren't familiar with the PA or the PA sucks, you will have trouble.

4. MiniMic

MiniMic

Sep 29, 2001
    Syracuse NY
    I played bass in a oldies trio for almost 3yrs with 2 guitar players and a drum machine, with just a Tech 21 BDDI into a channel on a powered Mackie PA Head 808m into four 15" JBL Eon 1500 cabs. Always sounded great.

5. A group of friends put together a new band about 7 months ago. They have been working hard and it is starting to coalesce nicely. Last night they were much more cohesive than they were a month ago when I saw them last. They were using in ears monitors and all the instruments except the bass through the PA last month. Last night the bass went from his Demeter preamp to the PA. No stack of speakers and no monsterous power amp. They have an excellent PA system and the best sound man I have ever had any connection with. Last month the bass seemed to disappear sometimes, but last night he was always there and he spent his time between songs talking with the drummer about timing instead of fooling with his eq or volume. The whole band is relaxed and they are taking more risks with the music because they aren't worrying about balancing they instruments. I admit it. I am jealous. I want to play in a band like that with the same PA and sound man.

6. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    I am using a pedalboard (Sadowsky preamp/DI, Tech21 BDDI, Korg G5, Aphex Punchfactory) DI into the desk. Our band is using Inear monitors and a Crest XRM monitor desk with 12!!! auxiliary outs. So everyone gets to have a personal monitor sound.
    I have been using this for 3 years now and i am really satisfied. With the right inear phones (2way or 3 way for us bassplayers) I don't miss having cabinets on stage.
    On rare occasions I have to use an amp/cabinets, I never get that precise bass sound that I am getting using just a DI and phones....

7. Cheers for all the advice guys. I'm definitely going to move away from the big rig setup. Hadn't thought about the earphones. Sounds a good idea.