1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What, no bass player?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by pica, Jan 2, 2013.

1. pica

pica

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    I just started getting into the Black Keys. I guess they've been around for like 12 years. Guess I'm a little behind the modern music scene. I come to find out they don't use a bass player, except when on tour. I saw them on Austin City Limits and the bass player was standing way in the back, you could barely see him. For just a guitar and drums they sound pretty good. Anyone else like them?

2. A band I saw on Conan called the Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs, and they didn't either.

3. ...like what The Doors did in the late sixties...

4. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
  5. That was Victor Wooten's brother on keys.
    He plays the bass lines on the right keyboard.

6. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    the only thing that comes to mind whichI enjoy BTW is Teddy Riley & his new jack swing

7. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    Not the Left?

8. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

Apr 19, 2009
    Hawaii
    We cover a few BK tunes..Howlin' for You,Tighten Up,Your Touch..they go over quite well.

From an onlookers viewpoint,I like 'em. Simple,dirty grooves with a solid hook,good trashy beats,gravelly-blusey lyrics..Good stuff!

9. Handyman

Handyman

Sep 4, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Their past couple albums have a bass, actually. However, I really do love their older albums done as a two piece outfit.

10. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

There's no bass player member of the band because only the two of them are official "The Black Keys," but there IS bass on a lot of the songs and they bring a bassist along live. I'm not sure if Dan Auerbach lays down the bass tracks in the studio or if a session musician does it. They do bring a bassist (and keyboardist) on tour, but naturally, since they aren't official "members" that fans come to see, they're in a backline and Auerbach and Patrick Carney are up front.

Didn't we just have a thread on this already, couple months ago?

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 9, 2021