Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WHAT?! No more Aggie tube amps?!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jvtwin, Mar 7, 2005.

1. jvtwin

jvtwin What it needs is a little more cowbell

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.
    I can believe what I heard.

After this years 05' NAMM show while talking to one of the reps (Sorry, I don't remember his name as I was in "shock") I was informed that Aguilar is no longer producing the DB728! Does this mean for the 124 guys who actually bought one (including yours truely) that we now own rare, one-of-a-kind, sought after and coveted pieces of tube history that will be worth millions of dollars in coming years or are we just S.O.L. with only backaches to show for our efforts of trying to aquire the ultimate yet, seemingly unattainable bass tones as told by our forefathers in stories of years gone by when only those who braved the shear force of Ampeg SVT 8x10 were consider gods of bass tones unknown ..

Damn the luck! I hate it when this happens! :meh:

2. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    That's right; and the DB 359 is going away as well.

3. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    and i'll never get to try one :bawl:

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    mwhaha

MWhahah...

MWAhaHAhAHHAha!!

5. jusplayinmybass

jusplayinmybass

Apr 17, 2003
    Conyers, Ga
    Keith McMillan Instruments, SIT Strings, Accugroove Cabinets
    Although I probably was never going to get one, I'm sad to hear this. I like the DB359, and was hoping to run across the DB728 one day. OH Well. B Easy

Myron

6. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I talked to a dealer and both will be available on a SPECIAL ORDER basis. Wait time maybe 3-6months

7. jvtwin

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.

My understanding is that the amp would no longer be availible period but that the parts would still be availible and of course warranties would still be honored (And we all know about their wonderful warranty don't we? :eyebrow: ). But then again, I was drinking by the time I made it over to the booth.

Oh and by the way, in case anyone was interested, it was a great show.

8. Dave himself said on TB recently that they would both be discontinued.

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The fact that it was being discontinued certainly helped push me to buy the 728 (and buy it new, with the 10 year warranty) while I could.

10. jusplayinmybass

jusplayinmybass

Apr 17, 2003
    Conyers, Ga
    Keith McMillan Instruments, SIT Strings, Accugroove Cabinets
    So what direction are they going in. Are they going more in the tube emulation solid state thing, or are they going to focus more on the preamps (a preamp only AG500 would be cool).

Myron

11. jvtwin

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.

Bingo! I guess the word was the 728 although well recieved, was not selling (I'm betting price and weight were a major factor)

12. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I'm fairly certain this is not the case. They are reserving the parts that they have left to honor warranty repairs, but will not be making any new units.

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i think they're staying on course with the whole "we like making good stuff" direction. :smug:

its kinda like with Nick Epifani. he was all set to make an all tube direction to go along with his cabs, but then he realized the potential with solid state designs. YMMV, i guess.

FYI, while the price was right on my used DB728, the weight actually didnt bother me too much. the only thing that concerns me is its fraglity, cause it does have glass and some high priced parts.

14. There are 4 spaces in my MB SUS-4 shock rack (8U) that are taken up by the DB728, and although I am using the other 4 spaces for preamp etc. they are actually reserved for a second DB728 at some point in time. Guess I will have to buy the second one used when the time comes. :) Anyhow, the SUS-4 a great investment if you intend to haul a DB728 (or two) around.

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    :eek:

16. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    I've said this before, but I think it'd be cool to see them design a new power amp to go with the DB680, consisting of the power section of the DB750 or something similar.

I suppose they'd have quite a bit of competition from PA amp manufacturers, though.

17. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Hang on to that DB728. Some day it will be like a Peavey Classic 400. ;)

18. jvtwin

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.
    I laugh and then realize "Hell, he ain't kidding!" :bawl: :p

19. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I can't believe that a company that got their name from the awesome tube heads, preamps, and amps they made is no longer making heads, and amps with tube power sections! That is what got my into Aggi....... :crying: :spit:

20. Don't panic... there are tubes in the DB750 amp and it sounds every bit an Aguilar. Of course the venerable DB680 remains in the lineup.