1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What Non-Musical Hobbies Do You Have?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Raum, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Raum

Raum

Jun 13, 2007
    What hobbies do you have outside of playing bass or other instruments? I've got a few...

Skateboarding - This is #1 for me, taking priority over bass playing for sure. Been playing bass for 1 year, skating for about 7. Bass is just for fun, skating I think I could actually go somewhere with it if I tried enough. I ride every day, trying new stuff and trying to progress in my weak areas etc. Very similar to bass in a lot of ways, such as personal expression and the way you practice.

Cooking - I like cooking pastas, grilling meats, baking breads etc. Healthier than prepackaged food and you have more creative control over what's in your food. Cinnamon banana bread? Grilled Salmon and Pineapple? Tons of great dishes out there that are simple to cook.

Bushcraft - I plan to live a self-sufficient lifestyle in the wilderness someday. Bushcraft is a term that describes my training. Learning about plants and animals, how to cook and prepare them with a minimal set of tools, which ones are edible, which ones make good medicine, fishing with only primitive gear, how to make fires by rubbing two sticks together, building natural shelters, purifying water etc. It's fun stuff and I love being outside. The woods are so much more interesting and peaceful than a city to me. It's so full of life and changes so much with the seasons, cities seem so dead and cold compared to the forest.

Reading & writing - I love me some books. Anything I can get my hands on. Fantasy novels, medieval history, philosophy, theology, plant and animal books, medical books etc. I try to read a minimum of a book a week. I also enjoy writing. Mostly philosophy.

Yo Yo's - I was into them for a while back in the mid and early 90's and just got back into them. They're really fun, you can bring one with you almost anywhere and they help build your coordination and dexterity, good cross-training for bass. There are some crazy complex string looping tricks these days.

2. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Working out/martial arts - although I haven't done martial arts in a year. My schedule is too erratic, so I can't commit to a time slot for classes. Also, it's frickin' expensive. :(

Video games - Duh. I'm a nerd.

electronics/computer programming - Trying to build a coil gun, but need some really good capacitors, and also trying to teach myself C#.

3. Raum

Raum

Jun 13, 2007
    I was really into videogames for most my life, then got out of them and went back and forth for a while. Haven't touched them in months though. I'll still play a Castlevania or a good RPG once in a blue moon though. Morrowind, Final Fantasy Tactics, Dragon Warrior 7 etc. Just prefer to spend my time on my board or bass these days. :D

4. Bryan316

Bryan316 Inactive

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    Muscle cars, woodworking, metalworking, making medieval weapons and armor, Harleys when my friend needs a hand, and Halo 2. Not video games, just Halo 2.

And BEEEEEEEEEEEER

5. moogboy

moogboy Inactive

Mar 1, 2007
    Moog Artist in Rock/Pop 5th down
    Women

Math

Sanford And Son, MASH, Lost In Space, Law And Order, CNN.

Reading

Breathing

Eating

School

6. Woodworking, camping, and traveling.

7. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    Reading, writing short stories, airgun shooting, drawing, volunteering with Emergency Medical Service, and surfing the net.

8. AdlerAugen

AdlerAugen

Aug 9, 2006
    does music technology count? Owning a recording studio in my bedroom?

other than music...gaming. That about covers it.

9. srh

srh saahweet

Dec 8, 2006
    New Jersey
    I like drawing alot, and computer games, first person shooters mainly I guess...

10. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
    I used to skate, too. Good times. I never did much vertical, but I loved to street skate, old school, going fast, dropping hills, carving and sliding, grinding, rail slides, tail slides, ollie-ing over stuff, acid drops, etc. Never got the point of kickflips and all that; now I see kids "skating" and all they're doing is practicing kickflips in some parking lot... lame, not aggro at all. :confused:

I also enjoy cooking and reading, and I know some bushcraft. I went to several survival camps as a boy scout.

We have a lot in common, Raum! :)

Video games now and then. Not so much anymore, unless one of my kids needs me to beat the hard part. :D

I go shooting now and then to keep the skills in place.

Doh. I forgot photography! Mostly landscape, some street, lots of the kids. :)

11. I dabble in art (love working with charcoals) and draw often. Impressionist style is my favorite.

I am into guerrilla photography (as in I like to catch people "in the real") I get some excellent results. I want a new camera.

I generally like to people watch (but not in a creepy way)

I like making hip, modern-retro furniture.

I collect vintage wine ads. If anyone sees any, heck, even reproductions, let me know how I might aquire them. I love the artwork.

I love reading and keeping up on new tech, be it science or lifestyle...

12. IAmTheDood

IAmTheDood Shake and Bake

Dec 15, 2006
    Waterford, MI
    golf. 2 handicap. started playing when i was 13 - played in high school and collegiate level.

bowling .. 185 avg, been in a league for about 4 years.

woodworking ... full shop: http://home.comcast.net/~sgraflund/myshop.html

computers - it's my job (.NET programmer)

cooking - i try.

13. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    Same here. My only yo at the moment is a Radiyoactive Cyclotron #56. What do you throw?

If it can be considered non-musical, I'm working on my building my second bass now. I guess woodworking would be the non-musical term.

I have also recently gotten into bonsai. I have a few small trees now that I am training - a juniper, boxwood, and an elm.

14. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Surfing. Have been doing it since I was 9. I guess that's over 20 years now. Wow. That's a scary thought. I'm currently teaching my son how to surf now. He's 3. Scary talented swimmer. Like riding waves. Hasn't stood up yet. Maybe this summer. My wife surfs too. So we're kind of a surfing family.

Snowboarding. Carving fresh powder is one of the best sensations on the planet. Especially the powder of Utah. Or Hokaido. Wife boards too. So we have fun. She's good. No waiting around for the girly. Pretty stoked about that.

Golf. This is a recent addiction. Have been playing for a couple of years now. Handicap is down to 24. I know it sucks but I'm proud of it. My son plays now too. He's even started getting pissed about bad shots - except in the way that a 3 year old gets pissed. Quitting and telling his golf clubs that he hates them. Hilarious. I do the same thing. My wife is getting into it now too. Might become another family thing.

SCUBA - Wife and I are both certified. Fun but we're not diving headlong into it. Equipment is expensive. I dive a lot for Lifeguards too.

Writing. Have written many short stories (some published). Poems (had a few published), and now mostly lyrics, although I'll write an article or two for publication. Write a lot of the lyrics for my band. Since my boy was born this is about all I have the time to do.

Reading. If that's a hobby. I just dig reading. Read anything and everything.

Gardening. Not sure why. But I've been kind of getting into plants and growing them. And maintaining a garden. That and a 12'vr of Coors Light (cuz it's like water) relaxes old Maki.

15. Haven't done bowling in over a year now but I ended up with about a 178 average in the two leagues I was in last. I really want to keep doing it but there are no bowling teams at my college and it is just not as fun for me to do it randomly, I really would want to be in a league only.

Video Games - Love it.

Graphic Design.

Computers - Building them, fixing them, 'souping them up, etc...

What a nerd I am. I also like TV, I watch a lot of it though I have cut back on the amount of shows I watch this summer due to work and going out.

(Maki, what the hell! I bet your son can swim better than me hahaha)

16. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Yeah, I know and work a lot with computers (I am a computer teacher afterall), but I wouldn't call them a hobby as soon as I started making money with them. Yeah my kid is crazy. I swam for 17 years, and was achieved National and NCAA Div. 1 qualifying times and he scares me. He's a better swimmer than me at that age. He's already able to swim to the bottom of a 5 foot pool. Do freestyle with side breathing and backstroke. Surfing is the next logical thing. Teaching him about waves and how to ride them. *chest swelling with pride*

Sorry about the hijack guys.

17. Poor me is still scared to go into the deep end of a pool. :meh:

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    None. I wish I had other hobbies, but I haven't found anything else. :(

19. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    I'm into PC games. I like programming, and am hoping to go into a career with it.

I'm also a huge book fan.
    I love bowling, even though I completely suck at it.

I LOVE eating.

20. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    amateur boxing

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021