1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What off-shore line of an expensive bass would you get if you had to?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mexibass, Oct 10, 2013.

1. mexibass

mexibass

Feb 12, 2012
    Cozumel, México
    I found out yesterday that Sandberg has a far-eastern line of instruments and they seem quite nice. At the same time, someone asked me if OLP musicmans were good enough and I didnt know what to say, since I always disregarded those. So, this question popped up in my mind. Let's say you don't have too much money to buy the real thing, but you need to get a bass that sounds good enough and it's playable off the factory after the usual set-up, without having to modify it at all.

I once had a Squier VM 5 string jazz bass and it was a superb instrument! Wouldn't mind to try the P version of these off-shore Sandbergs. And I've been gassing for a Dingwall Combustion forever! Oh, if only they were easy to get here in Mexico... I think I'd try them all!

So, what would you guys get and why?

(Sorry, it's my day off and I had nothing better to do at the moment, I guess I should go back to my harmony method LOL)

2. G & L Tribute (if G & L fits whatever your definition is of an "expensive" bass).

You get the G & L bridge, the same pickups as the made in USA basses, a great Leo Fender design, and some of the best quality control I've ever seen in a non-Japanese Asian made instrument.

3. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Sadowsky Metro... :)

4. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    +1. And that is exactly what I have. :)

5. smcgov

smcgov Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Northshore Mass
    I wouldn't hesitate to get a czech-tor

they were making instruments over there before there was a US

6. SoLongJake

SoLongJake Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2007
    Des Moines, Iowa
    I've owned a skyline lakland, currently own a Euro spector and a Japanese fender, all of these have been killer instruments that I would put up against non import models.

7. Marginal Tom

Marginal Tom

Apr 28, 2010
    O'Fallon, IL
    G&L Tributes, Lakland Skylines and Brubaker Brutes, depending on your definition of "expensive." I haven't played any off-shore EBMM, Sadowsky, Sandberg or Spector basses, but they'd probably be worth considering as well.

8. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Yes! The NSCR Spectors absolutely kill everything else.

9. 6stringpanda

6stringpanda

Aug 9, 2013
    OLPs are pretty nice. Have a 6 string baritone and its not much difference between it and the MM one I have.

I mean on was 250, the other 2500. Even after upgrading the bridge and electronics the OLP cost me less than 500.

10. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

This^^^

Too bad I'm not a G&L guy, but their offshore stuff is excellent in the QC dept.

11. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Where I live everything is "overseas"! (or at least over a border!)

But I am a fan of Sandbergs. What is their "overseas" line?

12. mexibass

mexibass

Feb 12, 2012
    Cozumel, México
  13. mexibass

mexibass

Feb 12, 2012
    Cozumel, México
    Yeah, I should've left out of the question sadowsky metros and Czech spectors since a) they're not cheap and b) if ur getting one you have the certainty of making a good investment! I was thinking more of Chinese, Korean and Indonesian-made instruments... How about them brubakers? They're pretty cheap! Not the best looking basses IMHO though :p

14. Kevin aka Kebo

Kevin aka Kebo Commercial User

Nov 17, 2011
    Princeton NJ
    Owner - Kebo's Bass Works
    I loved my Neuser Cloudburst that I bought from Steve Fossen. How about an Atlancia with the tuna can pickups?

15. Flabass

Flabass

Aug 11, 2008
    St. Petersburg
    +1

16. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

Nov 13, 2008
    +2 I tried out a Czech NS2 and it felt nearly identical to my Brooklyn Spector (except a lot newer!)

17. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
  18. godblender

godblender Banned

Mar 11, 2009
    Michigan
    +1

19. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    In that case Lakland Skyline all day long. Insane quality.

20. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Hell, if Sadowsky basses fall into the "inexpensive" category, I'd go for a Moon Jazz bass.