Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what ohm cab to get?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by grindmore, Jun 22, 2002.

1. grindmore

grindmore

Jun 21, 2002
    brooklyn
    recently got a used amper b2r? I want ot get a 4x10 or a 2x10 and in the future a 1x15. my question is: when using just a 4x10 should a go 4 ohms or 8ohms? and if i get just a 2x10 will it be loud enough?

2. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Well since the B2R goes down to 4 ohms you'll wanna get a 8 ohm 4x10 so you can add a (8 ohm) 1x15 later. Judging from your nickname I'm guessing you wanna play some type of Grindcore music. I doubt the 200 watts with one cabinet will work the 350 watts with both cabinets probably will though.

3. grindmore

grindmore

Jun 21, 2002
    brooklyn
    if i get a 4x10 at 8ohms can i play that at 4? these questions may seem dumb but i just broke away from combo amps since my band started getting bigger and more shows.

4. Yes - getting an 8 phm cabinet will allow you to play at 4 ohms in the future.

When linking two 8 ohm cabs together, your amp will see 4 ohms.

5. grindmore

grindmore

Jun 21, 2002
    brooklyn
    so when playing just one cab i should go at 400 to get the most power and when i link two i should go at 8?

6. Yes, you are correct.

However, if you get one 4 ohm cabinet, you are stuck.

If you get an 8 ohm cab now, you can always add another cab later without problems.

7. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    If you get a 4 ohm cab now and later add an 8 ohm cab, you will get 2.67 ohms. I am not familiar with the B2R, but 2.67 ohms may not be good for your amp. I would suggest one 8 ohm cab now, and add another 8 ohm cab later, that would give you a 4 ohm load which should be safe for your amp. As Bass_Pounder pointed out: "if you get one 4 ohm cabinet, you are stuck".

8. grindmore

grindmore

Jun 21, 2002
    brooklyn
    thanks alot. ohms are like rocket science to me. thats what happens when you go to art school and not the university.