1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What ONE pedal to cover dist/fuzzy tones?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dByron, Mar 19, 2018.

1. dByron

dByron

Mar 10, 2018
    As a guitar player that favors clean to slightly gritty tones, I've got a bunch of mild OD pedals. Now that I'm playing bass a bit more, I'm looking for some pedals better suited for the bass that can get me heavier dist and fuzz tones. Also trying to build up some synth sounds...so far I've got an Octron3, Mutron, EHX Micro Synth, a collection of delays, reverb, phase and trem. And some low gain Ods.

What should I be looking at for heavier sounds? I'm thinking about a Rat or Wooly Mammoth. Is there something better that can get me a wider variety?

2. Jakeman

Jakeman Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2006
    New Orleans, LA
    smallsound/bigsound Team Awesome Fuzz Machine (TAFM)

blindrabbit and chaak like this.
  3. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    While I would usually be inclined to suggest the Blower Box and/or TAFM since you seem to be looking for a single FX solution and already have other ODs I would suggest the Source Audio Aftershock. There is a huge thread on the pedal in the Effects forum and many good video reviews (include by our own Zack Rizer) on Youtube.

Another pedal I would suggest is the Tech21 VT Bass Deluxe or Bass Driver Deluxe, as these pedals not only offer multiple, storable distortion settings but are also a good DI unit as well.

skydivingninja likes this.
  4. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    Fuzzrocious Cat Tail does everything from light grind to full bloom distortion.

(Maybe other Rat clones do too, i don’t know!)

5. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Darkglass duality comes to mind. Especially with the blend control.

gepettus likes this.
  6. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    All good suggestions... I'll throw in my 2 cents: Dunwich Amplification Volt Thrower. It's a rat based device with 6 clipping options that goes from lower gain distortion to high gain fuzziness. It's a TB classic IMO.

9EEDC1EB-CF7C-4035-968B-186E71C0D783.

7. I'd suggest a Blower Box or similar Rat clone, since they can typically get you anywhere from a light gritty drive to face-melting fuzz.

knumbskull likes this.
  8. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Disnortion. The older fullsized one. Cheap as chips and sounds great (IMHO) with 3 different stackable dirt sounds at your feet (OD, Fuzz, Octavia). Or, a Hoof Reaper if you want more fuzz for more money.

9. Musicman1901

Musicman1901 Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    Damnation audio MBD-1.
    It can go from barely crunchy to screaming distortion all while retaining massive low end

10. dByron

dByron

Mar 10, 2018
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into all of these. I'm kind of amazed by the number of pedal builders I've never heard of that you guys are mentioning...I've been on The Gear Page for years and have bought/sold an embarrassing amount of gear.

11. dByron

dByron

Mar 10, 2018

This brings up an interesting question. What are some of the other Talk Bass classics?

ObsessiveArcher likes this.
  12. Being and Bass

Being and Bass

Apr 9, 2017
    Canada
    From the wisdom of TB, if you are looking for a single pedal to cover you, the Source Audio Aftershock is the one: Aftershock Bass Distortion

It pretty much covers all the ground you describe. If you aren't using the Aftershock, you are usually looking for something specific, more versatile, or you specifically don't like the sound.

That said, I just got an EHX Deluxe Muff (the guitar one) and found you can go from some rumble to full bore fuzz to fuzzy synth pretty effectively. For my travel board I think it will be my heavy dirt--its that versatile!

13. hztjtao

hztjtao

Sep 29, 2016
    Way huge pork & loin

Nunovsky likes this.
  14. Rambazamba

Rambazamba

Dec 14, 2012
    Berlin
    I just accidently tried my Foxx Tone Machine clone on bass and was blown away. Facemelting thick distortion, doesn't get lost in the mix and if you kick in the octave it gets pretty synthy, too.

blindrabbit likes this.
  15. Good suggestions.

One more- Way Huge Pork and Pickle

ObsessiveArcher and Nunovsky like this.
  16. fasto

fasto

Mar 4, 2007
    Amsterdam, NL
    Source Audio Aftershock ... search done!

17. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    Way Huge Pork & Loin is a great option, has sugested above. You also have the Gray Channel from Earthquaker Devices, the Source Audio Aftershock, and the Big Game Pedals Bedlam Drive III that isn't made anymore but you can find it used everyonce here on TB.

18. qersty

qersty

Aug 15, 2012
    Sweden
    Boss OD20

19. Plectrum72

Plectrum72 Supporting Member

2nd the EHX Hot Wax

ObsessiveArcher likes this.