Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What ONE piece of gear do you regret selling and WHY?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mcrelly, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Lets see if we can have another successful thread....

What ONE piece of gear do you regret selling and WHY? Could be Bass, Amp, Head, Pre, Pedal, Cabs, Combo, whatever the biggest regretted piece of long departed gear.

=============================================

Mine would be the Ampeg B50R combo that I bought new a couple years ago on my way up the Bass Gear Chain. More than any other piece of gear I miss that combo. Even though I prefer multiple speakers, I don't like lifting more than 40Lbs and it DIDN'T have a external speaker output. It was UNDERPOWERED for any band situation with a drummer. I still miss the tone that that combo had. I play one almost anytime I see a B50R or B100R in the store.

I sold it for I think my long gone SWR WM-10 with extension 10. needed more volume for sure and was looking for more portable setup.

2. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    I sold a MIJ 75 reissue Jazz that I loved. Just thought I was only gonna be playing my SR5 and didn't need it.

I've since bought another because I missed it so much. The new one has a nicer neck but not as beautiful grain in the ash body (I think the first was 1 piece, the 'replacement' is 2 pieces). I had a beautiful tweed case with the original and the replacment has the funky fender bass shaped case...

there's others... but that was "the one"... oh well.

3. In about 1967 I gave away a 1905 Martin O-28 in mint condition including the coffin case. It was a dream to play. Besides, I wouldn't have to work for a year if I still had it today.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Nothing for me. When I get something I like, I keep it. Examples include Nightbass's old Epifani 112. I was kind of hoping he was going to mention that. :)

-Mike

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    My Nikkor 180mm ED f2.8 lens.

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    My first Lakland Darryl Jones 4 string. Pearl white/rosewood with white blocks/tort guard. This bass was my "wife" bass. No bass before or after has fit me so well, in both appearance, sound, and fit. I sold it when I had some bills that needed paying, and thought the other bass I had at the time would be more versatile. I have another DJ now, which I like quite a bit, but it's not "the one" like my white one was.

7. I don't really regret selling anything of mine, but I regret buying a some of my earlier equipment.

8. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    My first bass, an LTD 4 string in plain ol black. Not that it was a spectacular bass, but it was my first and man I miss it. :spit:

Oh well, I got 2 others so I'm ok.

AuG

9. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

A dead mint, virtually unplayed '58 P bass that I aquired in 1984. A helluva bass.

10. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

An old '61 Strat that was so hard to get rid of because noone wanted that ugly little headstock with the skinny writing on it!

Also that '52 Deluxe, which was so rare it wasn't even listed in the tube amp book! (At least it went to a good home...)

Then of course, being a bass site, my '67 Mustang bass - my first real instrument - where did it go!?!

Wish I had some of those old Fender amps that used to lay all over the place too - Bassman 50's, Dual Showman and even a PS 400 with the matching 18" dual folded horn cabinet!

Now the only Fender stuff I have is a couple of medium scale Jazz Bass Specials...

11. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    My Demeter VTB201S preamp...the older blackface 1.5 rackspace model. That preamp just sounded great, no matter what room, what bass, what power amp, what cab, etc. It ALWAYS sounded good. In the studio engineers always loved my sound. I rarely ever had to tweek the eq at all, I just ran it flat. It had a rare combination of hi-fi clarity and tube warmth that nothing else I've tried has had. I've tried the newer single rackspace models, and although they still have the clarity, the warmth just doesn't seem to be the same.

I've got to find another one!

12. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    1976 StingRay w/"B00" serial number. :(

13. BC Rich Warlock - sold it to my cousin when I thought I wasn't going to play bass anymore. Damn DJ'ing and techno computer music!!!

14. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    I'm sure I'll miss it, but Dave has graciously offered a Thunderfunk in it's place?

However, like others I think the policy of selling gear can be idiotic at times. So I'll stop after this round.

As for guitar stuff that I regret selling.

Hamer 25th anniversary Artist (sweet guitar)

Custom shop Schecter Contoured top T (abouslutely beautiful quilt)

my first strat.

Soldano SL 60 head

Rivera Rake head

And I should kick myself for not buying another M60 or M100 top after my first M60 was stolen (i got some insurance money out of it)

~MIchael

15. bassjam

bassjam

Aug 2, 2004
    dfw
    Lakland Basses,Genz Benz
    main regret was a 80'sish music man sting ray i sold after my divorce.i loved that bass,but more for sentimental reasons than anything else.i took it all over the world and everytime i see pictures a good majority of them have me lovin on that bass.worst of all-sold it cheap too.

black,black pickguard,rosewood board,semour-duncan bassline pickup.ANYONE SEEN IT-I WANT IT BACK!!!

16. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    1968 Fender Jazz Bass (sunburst) with 1972 Fender Precision neck (maple fingerboard). Bartolini pickups. Warm and clear. I had to sell it in 1986 because I needed another engine for my car and my band (sole source of income) had just broken up.
    "If you should see my baby, please send her home to me..." :bawl:

17. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    a 68 bassman head and fender 4x12 slant cab

18. Fender Geddy Lee bass, Mesa 400+....But I just got another 400+ so...just the Geddy. oh and an Art Levelar tube compressor, but I just got one off Ebay last nite lol.

19. baggman

baggman

Sep 17, 2005
    Boulder, Co.USA
    My Cerwin-Vega B36-MF cabinet. 1-18" folded horn with 2-10" front-loaded. Or, maybe my EB-1 with DiMarzio Model One pickup and original Leo Quan Badass bridge and Schaller tuners, or.....

20. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    '79 Rickenbacker 4003
    late 60's Fender Bassman 100 tube amp with 2x15 cab :crying: