1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What options do i have with my...

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by ilovemysr505, Apr 26, 2010.

1. ilovemysr505

ilovemysr505

Sep 30, 2009
    I just bought an M-Audio Fast Track Pro from some music shop. I am currently on a vacation right now and I only bought my laptop with me and a headphone. I am using a EBMM Bongo 6 to record random stuff.

My laptop has Windows 7 64 bit installed in it and the latest driver for my audio interface only supports Windows 7 32 bit. I read a few pages here and was introduced to the ASIO4ALL driver. The current version right now is 2.9.

I have FL Studio 9 on my laptop. I did some recording with it. My Bongo to the interface and then to the laptop via USB. I noticed some weird static noises whenever I record. I fixed it by tweaking the settings of the mixer and that sound wave thingy diagram. The sound I hear before and during the recording is not the same as the sound I hear from the .wav file once it is saved. What caused this? Can M-Audio Fast Track Pro really record the sound from my Bongo? Or maybe it has some limits? What do I need to do?

Is it better to record in a desktop than in a laptop? What are the differences?

I am new in recording and have no idea at all. All insights are appreciated! Thanks!

Kevin

2. sangsaratrip

sangsaratrip

Jul 21, 2009
    This is a known problem with laptops, getting that static crap with the fast track pro, I noticed with Windows 7. Desktop's are less prone to this, but you might be having the same problem I have. I had the same problem with my laptop running Windows Vista, and they finally updated the drivers, and the problem was fixed. The only thing was like a week or two later I upgraded to Windows 7 and got the same problem again. I pretty much just use the fast track pro on a Windows XP desktop. I haven't checked their drivers page, but they may have a new driver update for Windows 7. M-audio sucks with driver updates. You don't need to worry about ASIO4ALL. That's just an ASIO emulator. You don't need to run that since fast track pro is a real ASIO sound card. Desktops are always best to use for recording, since desktop run a lot faster and can handle a lot more memory than a laptop. Laptops these days are catching up though and are perfectly capable of recording a low amount of channels simultaneously. As far as recording bass, I just go direct, set my levels so that I'm not clipping and record and I get a pretty decent clean sound for a low end audio interface. One more thing, you need to set you buffer size in your audio software and also set it in the fast track pro settings. The smaller the buffer the better. If it starts crackling up, that means you've gone to small a buffer, and should make it a little larger until it gets rid of the crackle.

3. ilovemysr505

ilovemysr505

Sep 30, 2009
    thank you so much! that helped a lot.. guess ill just have to wait till i get home :bawl:

4. Sunnburn

Sunnburn Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Dayton, Oh
    I guess your probably home now, But I just downloaded the drivers for the fast track ultra and they had windows 7 64 bit. I just checked on the pro. Looks like they have the 64 bit drivers also. I have had 0 problems w/ ableton. I did have a bit of static w/ Reaper though.