1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What or Which is The Best Power Supply

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bassist30, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    Looking for a power supply. Which do you feel is the most quiet for the money? Is Voodoo Labs, or the Brick the best? Is there something which isn't popular that compares with the more expensive power supplies?

2. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    Well, of the two you've listed (Voodoo Lab and Dunlop DC Brick), the Voodoo Lab Pedal Power Plus is better (way better IMO), because it provides a regulated and isolated source...meaning each power outlet is isolated from the other. This helps with ground loops, hum, etc...

The DC brick is a regulated source, but it's not isolated...

The Voodoo is "mo' money Vs. the DC Brick, as you would expect...

3. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Voodoo hands down.

4. So far, from all the ones I've looked at (Voodoo Lab, DC Brick, Supa-Charger, Fuel Tank), the Pedal Power is the best... Fully regulated and isolated and plenty of options for different voltage/current requirements.

Brian

5. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
    I've got my eyes on the Modtone Power Plant. It seems to be the best spec of all. It's got the isolated outputs and the sag of the Voodoo Labs plus it's got a 1A AC output which means (as far as I'm aware) it's the only power supply on the market that can power stuff like the Whammy as well as 'normal' 9V DC pedals. Any other AC outlets I've seen have been useless because the power output is too low for the Whammy etc. The Voodoo Labs is only 150mA I think.

6. Selig

Selig

Feb 21, 2009
  7. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    IMO, while lack of noise is important, you might find that in most cases, you won't have noise issues at all. It simply depends on what you're using. You can save a lot of money with a cheaper supply, and depending on what you're using and what your gigging situation is like, you probably are at only a minor risk for noise issues.

The Voodoo Lab is my personal favorite because it's flexible enough to cover most powering situations without compromising the source of said power (isolated outputs).

What are you trying to power, out of curiosity?

8. Geist

Geist

Aug 31, 2007
    I like my One-Spot

all that being said, I'm cheap, and it does what I need just fine.

9. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    I know very little how these power supplies work and i am getting some good information from you guys and i am truly thankful.
    I have another added question. I have a sort of one spot by EBS. Can say the power supply like the Fuel tank Jr. It has only 5 outputs. Can one of them charge say 4 9volt pedals similar to what the one spot does? It states it has the following,
    5 outputs with 9vDC, 120mA each. Supplied "voltage doubler" cable combines two outputs for 18vDC, 120mA

If so I take it many of the other power supplys like the voodoo and brick can do that.

10. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    The Dunlop DC Brick needs to die a horrible death!!! The brick itself is not the power supply, just an oversized distro box. The cruel joke is the giant in-line power supply that plugs into the brick that has to sit on the floor next to your pedalboard...but not on your pedalboard unless you want induced noise from the transformer. You may as well use a One Spot.

11. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    I use a 1-spot for some stuff as well, and "for some pedals" it works just fine...but for others that require a regulated source...not so much...

12. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    you can mount it to the bottom of a pedaltrain.

13. ItsMichaelYeah

ItsMichaelYeah

Jun 4, 2008
    Miami,FL
    all about the voodoo lab aka with my band the doodoo lab. haha

14. oldironsights

oldironsights

Jun 13, 2008
    LAS VEGAS
    Ok I got a question now about the vdl2+. I have a morley volume pedal, boss od3, fulltone ocd, vintage proco rat, bluebeard fuzz, boss r3, boss rv5. can that bad boy power everything I got???? I also might be getting a akai head rush, or boss delay, so make that a total of 8 pedals. WILL THE VOODOO LAB 2 plus POWER ALL 8 PEDALS????

15. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Yes, it'll power all 8. In fact, it has all the cables you need to power those (it comes with a few specialty cables... sometimes you need to special order some from them, but based on what you're using, it'll cover your needs).

You might need to place the RV-5 and your upcoming delay pedal on outputs 5 and 6 (the high-current outputs), but otherwise, it'll power all of them.

16. oldironsights

oldironsights

Jun 13, 2008
    LAS VEGAS
    sweet stuff! Thanks mysitc. Curious how many will it power total??? Im using a one spot now, and its not the greatest for all of those pedals. I heard that the fully ocd can be operated in a 18v mode is that true and in that case will It still power all the 8 pedals??? THANKS!

17. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    For me besides all of what has been said

The SAG function was the selling factor for me, two of my pedals work better with the lower voltage

;) ... Works just like an old style zink-carbon battery

18. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Two ways to look at this:

There are 8 outputs total, so it normally powers 8 pedals if your goal is to isolate each of them.

BUT... you can technically power more than that. The PP2+'s design is essentially like using 8 small but independent wall warts. You could run a daisy chain cable from any of the 8 outputs to power multiple pedals.

However... you can't power as many from a single output as you might hope. 6 of the outputs are limited to 100mA, so you'll be able to power only a few pedals from a single output. Plus, the limitations of daisy-chaining apply to that one output on its own. The other 2 outputs (#5 and #6) have 250mA limits, which allows for more pedals, but chances are you'll be using those outputs for pedals that need more current than the 100mA outputs can offer.

It gets a little messy when you're trying to power more than 8, but you can do it. I just wouldn't recommend trying to power 20+ pedals on a PP2+. :D

If you have a pedal that you plan or need to power with 18VDC or 24VDC, you'll need a special Y-cable (which you'd have to order from Voodoo Lab) with a barrel plug that matches the spec of your pedal. This Y-cable uses 2 outputs to create the higher voltage. Because of that, you lose an output, bringing you down to 7 pedals which can be powered in isolation. But of course, a daisy chain running from one output can allow you to power more if you need to, so don't fret.

19. meekee73_2008

meekee73_2008

Feb 20, 2009
    +1 for one spot dude

Michele

20. oldironsights

oldironsights

Jun 13, 2008
    LAS VEGAS
    Mysitc your the man man!!!!! :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: