1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What or Which is The Best Power Supply

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bassist30, Mar 12, 2009.

1. oldironsights

oldironsights

Jun 13, 2008
    LAS VEGAS
    of the pedals I mentioned earlier in the thread, what ones would need to run off the 5, and 6 the 250ma??

2. the closest thing i use to a "specialty" pedal is my bassballs, and the adapter for that came with my One Spot. i really dont know how i lived without this thing!

3. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    That gives great information. Thanks for the link.

4. asherthemachine

asherthemachine

Sep 22, 2006
    to avoid starting another thread, ill ask this question here. Would the 5th and 6th power supplies work to run a Boss RV-2 into? i dont know if the milliamp restrictions complicate things..

5. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    The RV-2 needs 130mA, so actually... that'd need to run off of output 5 or 6.

The RV-5 needs only 50mA, so it can run off of any outlet. I thought it'd be more, but I just looked up its usage. The Boss DD-6 and DD-7 (if you get either of those) also use around that much. The Headrush, I have no clue... you'd need to check its manual. The other pedals all use far less than 50mA each. Most analog distortion pedals don't even need more than 20mA. I forget how much the Morley volume pedal uses, but it's not much.

BTW, bookmark this site: http://www.bossarea.com

BossArea has tons of useful info on Boss gear. If you need even more info, you can download the user manuals from Boss' parent company, Roland.

6. Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    What I am powering will be EBS verb, chorus, octabass and IQ.
    Mooger Fooger Low Pass, and a team_awesome fuzz machine.

Still think the Voodoo Lab 2.

7. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    team awesome fuzz machine?

8. Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
  9. asherthemachine

asherthemachine

Sep 22, 2006
    thanks mystic, i thought so.

10. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    This seems like the place for this question:
    I just picked up a Voodoo Power Pedal 2. I have an 18V MXR Blow Torch to power, and the stock cables didn't include the one you need for this (the sticker on the box even said that this was "optional"). While I'm waiting for this adapter to arrive, is there any reason I can't plug the Blow Torch wall wart into the AC out on the Voodoo and safely run it from there?

11. Chris Ramlar

Chris Ramlar

Feb 8, 2006
    Mexico
    talking about 18 volts is it possible to use a Y cable to get 18 volts form a 1spot?

12. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    No. Connecting non-isolated outputs like on a 1spot daisy chain (or any daisy chain for that matter) is equivalent to a short circuit (trace out the circuit path yourself if you don't believe me).

You need to connect 2 isolated 9V outs with a Y cable for 18V. That means either two outputs of a PP2+, or 2 Virtual Batteries on 2 outputs of a one-spot, but then you'll be eating up a whole load of current.

13. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Feel free to do so. That's what it's for. ;)

The courtesy AC outlet has proven to be invaluable in a number of gigging situations. For example, I currently run my Bass Whammy using it. In the past (before purchasing the Bass Whammy), I used to power my guitarist's pedalboard through it, so we'd have fewer extension cords running on the ground.

Actually, it is. Godlyke makes the Power Pump, which is an adapter designed to increase the output voltage of a single barrel plug on the daisy chain to 12V, 18V, or 24VDC. Honestly, though, the 24VDC setting is useless. Almost no pedal I know of uses 24VDC that can also work on a daisy chain. 12VDC and 18VDC are the more practical settings. Keep in mind that if you use this, you will decrease the overall current available from your supply (if you have a knowledge of basic electrical formulas, you'll understand why).

The Blowtorch should run just fine on the Power Pump from a daisy chain. In fact, if I recall correctly, I did test-run the Blowtorch that way on it a long time ago when I had a Power Pump.

Beyond this voltage-boosting option, a Y-cable wouldn't work unless you connected two isolated 9VDC sources with it.

14. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Cool. I just called into the kids at Voodoo and asked the 18V question of their techsupport. They were very helpful and friendly and affirmed that is how I can run it. I was pretty certain I could do that, but wanted to verify.

For those who like detail - I just picked up a Pedal Train and the Voodoo (and a Planet Waves cable kit) and I don't have the 18v adapter yet. I want to try to have my board thrown together by Friday's gig and I didn't want to wait for the adapter to show up. Seeing that AC spot made me think that I can temporarily rig the Voodoo to the top of the Pedal train and plug in the wall wart for the Blow Torch and let that hang off the back of the board. It looked like it should rig together fine. I will need to reposition a few things though, as I won't have room for my (rarely used, for now) Line6 FM-4 if I rig it in that fashion.

15. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Voodoo Lab PP2 is best, but you can get a BBE SupaCharger for less and it's basically the same, plus they include more cables.

16. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    As long as you're within the power limit of the outlet (200W maximum), you can run a lot of things from it. I wouldn't run your amp out of it, though. :D

If you decide to mount the PP2+ underneath the board, you can still use the outlet with the wall wart - you just need to get a bit creative. You can do what I do - get one of those small 3-to-2-prong adapters and stick it in there so your wall wart can sit flush with the side of the Pedaltrain. Without it, your wall wart won't reach the outlet.

In lieu of that, you could simply stick to your current solution.

17. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    I had thought about that. I went searching for the adapter in the junk drawer and couldn't find it. I hadn't taken measurements, so I wasn't sure if it would fit, but was considering that as a work around... particularly when I found out the Voodoo adapter to run 18V costs ten american dollars! :eyebrow:

18. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Certain styles of that adapter won't fit... some of them are unnecessarily large. You could probably trim one of those down, but I was lucky to find a little gray one at Wal-Mart which fits perfectly. :)