1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What order would you put these pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tommygun_ted, Dec 5, 2018.

1. I've never been much for using pedals, but my new band allows me to explore more on the bass. I'm not sure what order to put these pedals though. They're going straight into my ampeg v4b. I've got a tuner pedal, an MXR chorus/flanges pedal, a mini crybaby bass wah, and an overdrive pedal, not sure which one yet. What order would you guys put them in your signal chain? And any recommendations on overdrive pedals? I want something that sounds like the tubes being pushed.

2. Frodolicious

Frodolicious Supporting Member

May 29, 2018
    Omaha, NE
    You got tubes in your amp already, maybe just get a boost pedal to push them more? Not a great answer I know, but use it when you got it!

I'd go OD, wah, then chorus/flange

mattbass6945 likes this.
  3. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    For me, I like the sound of a wah after the overdrive. So I would do bass, tuner, overdrive, wah, chrous, amp.

4. I'm pretty new to doing metal with a tube amp. I was pretty broke when I was doing metal before so I had a crappy line 6 solid state amp with a big muff pie pedal. Not too sure how a boost pedal works. Does it have to increase volume to push the tubes?

Frodolicious likes this.
  5. Frodolicious

Frodolicious Supporting Member

May 29, 2018
    Omaha, NE
    Yup giving a volume boost can push the tubes into overdrive. You may also just turn the gain up. Give it a try!

I love the sound of driven tubes, so always recommend trying a simpler approach before recommending pedals.

There are a lot of good and cheap volume pedals out there, or you could build your own, as they are super simple circuits a lot of the time!

6. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    THIS^
    The wah will sound different before/after the OD, so try both positions to see which you like best.