What other bass do I need ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JayAmel, Nov 29, 2002.

1. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France

I have a Status Energy 4, and I have a brand new Music Man Stingray 5 on the way home.

I have an Ashdown rig (ABM500 + ABM210H + ABM115-500) for rehearsals and live situations. For small gigs, I guess I'm gonna get an Ampeg BA115. For studio recordings, I use a Bass Pod Pro and a SansAmp Bass Driver DI.

I play either rock or top 50 music. Nothing else.

My question is : I have approx. 2 grands to spend. What bass do you think I should get that would be complementary to what I have ? I love deep and punchy sounds (ya know, the dark things).

No Rickenbacker suggestion, please ;)

Thanks in advance !
  2. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    hows about an elrick..
  3. odie

odie Supporting Member

Fretless maybe.

I'd say get something with some jazz or p pickups.
    You got the MM covered, the humbucker, and even the graphite sound.

Maybe a decent Warwick, since your in the neighborhood. ;)
  4. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    maybe something more exotic...

Fretless is a good suggestion also. It looks like you're lacking a good fretless in your arsenal.

5. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Thanks, but fretless is not my cup of tea. Should I get one, I would use it 2 or 3 times a years, so I definitely wouldn't spend 2 grands for a fretless...
  6. Everyone should have at least one Precision.
  7. A Lakland Bob Glaub sounds like just what you need!
  8. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Every bassist should have at least one Fender.
  9. Maybe a Lakland? They're pretty versitile. If you got a Skyline model you'd probably have enough left over to get an MTD Heir and do some work on it, too.
  10. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I think a custom JP would fill the niche nicely.
    And he's in France.
    Did you hear the audio samples he posted?
    I know I want one!
  11. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Look around and find yourself a preowned Sadowsky. One of the best basses you can get your hands on. Great punchy tone, wonderful fretwork and finish. You'll love them. F basses are also great, Pensas', Laklands, maybe and MTD usa. Good luck and have fun searching

12. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Modulus Quantum with Barts and Granadillo fretboard. Maybe not too dark, but very punchy. The wood board will warm it up a bit more than the composite board.

Well, that is what I want anyways for my next bass, a Quantum 6. So since that is all I am thinking of lately as far as basses go, I had to mention it here.:p
  13. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    If I had $2,000 to spend on a bass, it would most definitely be a Wal.
  14. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    If you don't want a fretless I'd definetly go with a Jazz type bass. I think it would give you some sounds that you can't get with your current basses.
  15. How about a Sei jass bass made in London England by Martin Peterson who is German. Beautiful basses his web site gives a review of one of his Jass basses . It could be tempting.

The web address is below

16. odie

odie Supporting Member

For the huge amount of options and sounds available a Wal or a G&L.
  17. the obvious answer is: "a P-bass", but since you're in France, just stop beating around the bush and get yourself a Leduc U-bass, like this one:
    [​IMG] :D
  18. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Ah, you beat me to it, lousy!
    By one single post!!

Leduc U-bass. Definitely the choice!:cool:
  19. You can buy 10 Yamaha RBX 260 fretless!!!:D
    A second hand Pedulla would be nice too ... Try y Rapture and you won't play anything else after that!!!:eek:
    It's like a multivitamin Precision, with this smooth, small body, incredible sunburst, marvellous neck and dream sound. Oh my god, I Have this bass!!!:eek: