1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What other fretless basses sound like FBass AC-5 ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jibreel, Mar 24, 2013.

1. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    Posting this in both the general Bass forum and in the F Bass club thread.

Fretless is my preference. I have a Turner fretless bass which totally nails the “acoustic” fretless sound for me. I owned a Rob Allen Deep 5 which was also amazing but I lean a little away from the “ uprightish” sound which is why I stuck with the Turner.

Recenly acquired a Rosce fretless. Moved the neck pickup down next to the bridge pickup and I am very happy with this bass. But it was not the whole deal for me. Finally just went for it and bought this FBass AC-5. What an amazing bass!!! The reality is, I prefer 4 string basses. However, there are very few AC-4’s around. So I bought the AC-5. I posted a FT [ my AC-5 for your AC-4 ] in the for sale forum but who knows if that will ever happen.

The bottom line is that I really want a 4 string. And now that I have spent the big $ for a great bass, I am wanting to see if there are anyother fretless basses out there that have the same tonal range and build quality as the AC-5. I really do not care about piezo. But it is essential that it have the same warm tonal qualities.

This video [ Thanks Tom7 ] really highlights the amazing AC-5 sound:

Kevin Woods is amazing in this vid. Sounds great but is an example of fretless tonality that is just a little in the more bright/nasal/electric tone and has less “ warmth “. Most fretless bass sound like this. I really want the warmer tone of the AC-5.

If I could just have an AC-4, I would be done :help: Any other highend fretless 4 string basses that have this tone? Thanks !

001_zpsfef2624a.

2. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    I've played a lot of fretless basses over the years -- owned a few, tried out a buttload more -- and in all my experiences I have never found another instrument that sounds like an F Bass fretless with the "acoustic guitar"-style bridge. They're that distinct.

Then again, I know I'm splitting hairs.