1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What other hybrids should I try?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Zapp, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Zapp

Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas
    Folks, I'm throwing in the towel on my Yorkie XS400 head.
    I had an Eden WT400 sigature years ago and let it go.... probably should have kept with hindsight, bit it seemed sterile to me, like an audiophile's stereo rig [I think that's a compliment]. It seemed to lack p_ _ _ & vinegar if you know what I mean. I had a Hartke emulo-hybrid, which actually was probably the meanest amp for the $$ I ever had. I think it was underrated, powerwise, but man was it noisy. But I hooked up huge cabinets to it and it drove them like mad. it had vinegar, and noise, lots of it.
    So now I try the XS400. I was not looking for growl, and it has a lot of it. Wasn't especially looking for Neo tone, though want that OPTION, and it has a lot of it. What I can't get is a lot of fat on the bottom to balance everything out, plus no matter what I do it sounds like some guy with a baritone voice singing very loudly whilst holding his nose. can't get around that particular quality.

PLayed through a Genz Benz neo combo and didn't like it, mainly i think due to the speaker. But someone advised me that the GB amps don't really color the fat bottom strongly.

What should I try? I am very comfy trading used gear, and my budget is anywhere under $1000 for the head........

The good news is, i keep hooking nice cabinets to my old warhorse WM12, and it keeps putting on a show.... just doesn't have the power to go much beyond where I run it all the time. [just added an Aguilar GS112]

Maybe the thing to do is get a GK 700RB and add a tube front end.... either whole preamp or gadget box? that GK has got headroom

sign me
    frustrated :meh:

2. Try Mesa... warm
    other then that, go to GC and plug in... let your ear decide.

3. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Eden Wt550 or 800B depending on your power needs.
    Thunderfunk TFB550...while not a true hybrid, and doesn't "grind" like a driven pre-tube, the massive headroom it has makes it feel like a big clean tube amp, sorta, the way that headroom feels under your fingers.
    DB750...bam!

4. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I know it's old and out of date but maybe an old Trace Elliot SMX series head. They have warmth but are well defined and you can dial in a lot of bottom IME/IMO. If you need to get the grit you could try the laterGP12 series heads made during the Gibson era. They have that extra little bit of tube like grit and warmth.

5. this is mostly because i'm still in love with it, after only having it a month or so, but the genz benz gbe1200 is far and away the best amp i have ever played. i run it at 2.67 ohm pushing an ampeg svt410hlf and svt115e and it sounds damned ridiculous. i found it used for $1000 on ebay. i even think the guy i bought it off of is on here somewhere. i don't know about their combos. i was soley and swr guy before this, which you might try as well. i have my 750x as a backup now and i love that amp, i just like th gb more. but swr's are a very distinct sound.

6. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    You know... the GK Fusions are going to be out soon (I think).

Otherwise, I used to run a 400RB with a Presonus TubePre ($100 new). It was a great sound. One of my favorite "rigs" ever. It was my cheap attemt at emulating a DB750, and I thought did a darn good job of it.

If you're looking to add something in front of a head, I'd defnintely recommend the Presonus.

7. Jeralya

Jeralya

Sep 7, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    I know you said hybrid, and I love all kinds of amps, but the description you are giving sounds like it could be given by the right all tube amp. The Mesa 400+ absolutely destroys from a power standpoint, and can get the coloration in sound like you seem to want. The only problem is maintenance and price, but pricewise these things can go as low as 800 used, and maintenance wise Mesa offers more help than just about any company around.

Otherwise, you may want to look to a return to the Hartke. I have a 3500, and I kind of hate it for the same reason you loved it, but they make a 500 and 700 watt version that provides the same kind of mid-colored tone you are referencing.

8. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I felt the same way about the eden heads. Very nice but not juicy enough. I wanted something in between that and my Ampeg pre. Have a mesa p-pulse 600 now and its the real deal. Just the right amount of tube give, but still plenty tight and punchy ... plus a great EQ and comp, blendable AND switchable effects loop (stick a RAT in that bad boy and blend a little in!!!)

Big Block 750 looks cool too for full distortion sound, but the m-pulse 600 does a great clean tube sound, and a great mild clipping glow.

9. lowfreek

lowfreek Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Central New York
    +1 on the Mpulse. I know its right for me, and based on your post, it may very well be what you're looking for. More thick, articulate clean bottom and headroom than you'll know what to do with. And its built to take a pounding.

10. +1 to the above and to Pickles' post... to me, the Mpulse line is the most 'tube' sounding of all the hybrids... with the Walkabout being super warm and tube fat, the Mpulse600 being more on the 'studio clean/modern' tube tone side, and the BB750 being voiced for that SVT-like snarl. Great quality... the 600 really is something if you are looking for clean tube tone with some 'tube bloom' in the low end... nice, and loud as can be!

11. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    KJ, you're up late...or early...or sumptin.

12. Stupid early:D Good morning!!!!

13. Espidog

Espidog

May 19, 2006
    UK
    Ashdown ABM perhaps? A great EQ section. Reknowned for their warm character. Plenty of bottom end, and the blendable 12AX7 stage will get you from clean, solid state punch to serious vintage Jack Bruce grind via every stop inbetween. Even the sub-harmonizer is fun.

Available as a complete head in 300, 500 or 900 Watt versions, or you could just get all the fun EQ/tube bits in the RPM-1 rackmount pre-amp unit.

http://www.ashdownmusic.com/bass/section.asp?section=abm

14. Zapp

Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas
    are they known for reliability. seems like i read some unhappy posts here... maybe that was the low end combos?
    I'm desperate.... all suggestions get acted on. I'll check their site for a dealer somewhere here so I can put my good ear on...

15. Zapp

Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas
    THANKS to ALL guyss... many good suggestions above that I have not thought of. personal recommendations always mean more than mktg hype.

actually, this is the first I've heard of GK fusions. is there an article? I'll do a google.

Re the GB.... I have unfortunately only been able to meet two in person since no one here is a dealer: an old 250 that was utterly unimpressive and a NeoX combo that was interesting but not brave on the low end. very loud, not warm

16. Espidog

Espidog

May 19, 2006
    UK
    Yes, there have been a slew of reliability problems reported by TB members over the last year or so. I believe it was an issue with ABM and MAG heads sold in the USA, and it appears to have been something to do with the power supply getting all hot and bothered when working off 110V mains. Ashdown have a superb after-sales reputation, and are very easy to talk to. They are well aware of the issue and I understand that they have now solved the overheat problem. So, if you make sure you're buying a brand new ABM you should be fine.

Having said all that, there are plenty of satisfied ABM users all over America who have never had any reliability issues with their amp. I'm in the UK. I've had two ABM combos for about 2 years now. Both were bought second-hand, so they'd had a fair bit of use before I got them. Neither has ever given me a moment of worry. I'd certainly recommend you to give the ABM range a listen.

17. Zapp

Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas
    yeah, i was going back through their lineup, and actually I think i remember it was the blue-faced units that I had read some ugly remarks about. but thanks for the heads up

18. Zapp

Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas

Good analysis folks. the Mesa's I can find locally. I'll be out and about today and will go find the M-Pulse.

19. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Leave the para EQ off, put the mids around 1-2 oclock, bass and treble at 3 oclock ... monstrous!

20. Aguilar DB750, it might be a little over your price range, but it's worth it.