What other instruments do you play?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by TheMightyQuinn, Jan 11, 2006.

1. TheMightyQuinn

Dec 26, 2005
    Sorry to say this, but bass isn't actually my primary instrument. Don't get me wrong, I love playing bass as much as the next guy on this forum. However, I'm much more proficient with a saxophone in my hands. Alto and bari are where I'm at home. I guess I'm just used to playing Eb woodwinds.

Oh boy, are there GAS conflictions...

Right now I want a G&L ASAT bass a TON. But 'need' overules 'want' every time, and I 'need' a new alto! My current sax just isnt cutting it anymore, so I'm shelling out the dough for a brand spankin' new Yanagisawa A991. The ASAT has to go on hold for a while. :(

One day I'll need a bari of my own as well, (I play a loaner) and those things are not easy on the wallet! Thats probably 2 more basses I wont be able to buy right there...:(

What other instruments does everyone else play? What kinds of conflictions do you have between them?
  2. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I've got a rental Viola I've had for the past few years, but this year I stopped playing in Orchestra and switched to DB. I've also got a piano, but dropped that a while ago because my parents forced me to practice and whatnot and I hated it. (Now I regret it) And I play some slight geetar...

No real gear conflicts, aside from the fact tha tmy parents are only allowing me to have 2 bass guitars (I'm prolly not gettin any other types of instruments)
  3. Some guitar, just to play around with though.

Oud, which I know absolutely NOTHING about but nonetheless own a dirt cheap one from my travels in Israel.

Simple hand percussion, too. Want to work on that.
  4. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I can fake it purty good on drums and guitar.
  5. I used to play guitar alot before I switched to bass as my primary instrument. I took classical guitar in middle/high school for 5 years, and I got one of those starter electric packs for Christmas one year. I think I've lost alot of that classical skill though because I haven't played it in forever, but every once and a while I'll pick it up and strum some chords or make up a melody or two. Also, my grandma got our family a keyboard as a Christmas gift one year, and I can play some on that too.
  6. I play the guitar, the horn, and the mandolin as well as the bass. Not so hot on the mandolin yet. I can also play a little saxophone, although I'd have to go over the fingerings again to actually play some music.
  7. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I play Guitar, but no G.A.S problems, I've got 5 and a Marshall Stack so I'm all set there, and I play Bass more now anyway.
    Now I've decided I need a 610 instead of a 410, so Bass is still giving me G.A.S.:rollno:
  8. pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Used to play and still probably could make reasonable noise on: mandolin, mandocello, 5-course cittern, tenor banjo, cello banjo, guitar, baritone guitar. Briefly messed around with plectrum banjo, mandola and tiple. Gave'em all up because I realized nobody was ever going to say "leave your DB at home and bring the banjo, please". Also because I was planning a move across the ocean and the less stuff I owned the better. Otherwise I might have kept the cello banjo, at least.

I also have basic piano skills. That is much more useful than being able to play all the above instruments - piano is very handy for transcribing and arranging.
  9. I used to play: Piano(4 years), Cello (2 years), Guitar (1 week).
    I've been thinking about getting back into the Cello, or maybe getting a full upright bass. Can't be that hard, right :rolleyes:
  10. FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    Bass Guitar, Guitar, Trumpet, Baritone, Tuba, Trombone, some piano and keyboards. I can screw around on the drums but have never had my own kit to play with....

I like the bass best!
  11. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Guitar and keyboards, and yeah, my gear lust extends into those categories as well as bass. I want a Fender Strat, a Rickenbacker 360/12 12-string guitar, a decent acoustic, a Minimoog, the new mono Evolver keyboard from DSI that's coming out, an Oberheim OBXa, a Yamaha DX7II, a Nord Electro... I would want a Mellotron, but those are real buggers to take care of so I'll stick with my software version.
  12. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Besides bass, I'm proficient on cello and trombone. I can just about get by on piano & guitar. I can play drums a little, but never out public ..... :rolleyes:
  13. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Guitar; keeping those chords up to date
    Harmonica; just started, very fun instrument
  14. Guitar, dobro and steel guitar. I wish I played fiddle, but I have enough trouble trying to play 4 instruments well and I don't have the patience to put up with the horrible sounds I produce whenever I touch a bow to the strings.
  15. BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    I have college degrees in Trumpet and French Horn. I also play "arrangers piano". But these days Electric Bass is my main axe.
  16. pcollin

Dec 22, 2005
    Portland, Maine
    I play acoustic guitars. I have a Taylor, a Takamine 12-string and a Hohner. I also play dulcimer. Bass definitely gets most of my attention though since that's what I use when I play out.
  17. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Anyone plays banjo? I defenitely want to learn how to play Banjo :)
  18. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I play bass more than all else combined. The "all else" includes:

Guitar, acoustic and electric
    Cajun accordion
    Various penny whistles
    Trombone (just resumed playing after a 28-year hiatus)
    Practice chanter (in anticipation of learning the bagpipes)
    Kalimba or mbira (thumb piano)
  19. I play bass and guitar, and can do a little on the harmonica, want to pick up playing drums tho

Vorago, my dad plays banjo, he picked up on it a couple years ago and is pretty good now :)
  20. the_home

the_home Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    Besides slab bass and upright...

guitar (acoustic and electric)

hand drums (congas and djembe)

synth for 'atmosphere' (just push a key and sumpthin cool happens ;)