1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What other pickups do Delanos sound like?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Rusty the Scoob, Oct 27, 2009.

1. How would you describe Delanos in comparison to other pickups? What pickups would be comparable? All the reviews I see are very positive but very general. Do they sound most like classic Barts, EMGs, etc?

2. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I have a set of pj delanos in my j bass. And the sound is unlike any other pickup I have tried. Its almost like an ernie ball humbucker. I got the jmc something model the one with the over sized poles. In standard tuning they sound great. but drop tuning is where they sound their best.

3. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    They're harmonically dense and very rich sounding, without EQ or anything else applied.

They're hard to describe, but they don't sound like Barts, EMGs, or anything else I'm used to hearing. They have a ton of detail in the upper mids, which may be why the ones in spaz21387's bass remind him of a MM pickup.

The only way I can think to describe them is, it's what I imagine a pickup pulling every single detail the string had to offer would sound like. Unfortunately, I've only heard them in other peoples' basses, and have no idea how their tone stands up in a mix. I imagine they do well.