1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What P bass is the Better P bass..A Hypothetical

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thefunkelastic, Feb 27, 2008.

1. thefunkelastic

thefunkelastic

Oct 23, 2007
    At some time in the future I may purchase a precision bass, but I'm just wondering purely on a hypothetical opinion basis which of these two do you guys think would be a Better "Precision style Bass"

1) The Fender 50's Precision Bass
    2) A Yamaha BB-614

I'm just wondering what you guys have to say about this, you could choose any one or neither and for any reason including versatility, build quality, mojo, one coming in a sunburst finish you really like, whatever,

what do you guys think of those two choices and which would you take all things being equal?

thanks for your input

-Funk

2. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I have a Classic '50s Precision with TI Jazz Flats on it, and I can't imagine a better tone.

It has a larger (not huge) neck. I don't know what the Yamaha neck is like.

The Classic '50s P is my main gigging bass.

3. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    I'd play both through a rig as close to mine as possible and then decide.

4. Rugaar

Rugaar

Apr 11, 2007
    wisconsin
    Well, for me, "active" and "PJ" aren't what I'm looking for in a P bass.

I love my Fender Classic 50's P. Big wide neck, super thumpy sound and killer looks. For me, it's perfect.

[​IMG][/IMG]

5. Andy_colassal

Andy_colassal

Nov 21, 2006
    Regina, SK
    Me Too!
    2d6l7b5.
    svndiv.
    2d8gabp.

6. anesthetist

anesthetist

Nov 25, 2006
    Finland
  7. Aragorn35016

Aragorn35016

Jul 3, 2004
    Arab, Al.
    -->
    100_0586.

8. thefunkelastic

thefunkelastic

Oct 23, 2007
    wow, so the consesus seems to be between the thread linked and this one that if it's between a normal MIM and the Yammi, go yammi every time, but the 50's seems to win hand over heals...I guess cause of mojo

9. Any Fender P-bass with flats.

10. Strongjag

Strongjag

Aug 14, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Beards.
    I actually have a P and a BB614. If you want that "P" sound, get the P. The Yammie, can emulate it, but the P produces it. They both have their place though, I use em both.

The BB is far more versatile though, of course, nobody gets a P because they're versatile.

11. thefunkelastic

thefunkelastic

Oct 23, 2007
    can tbe bb do a pretty decent thumpy P?

12. Don't ditch the Yammy so easily! Yamaha make great basses. It won't sound exactly like the Fender, but it will have its own special Yammy vibe! :)

13. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I don't think anyone is slamming the Yamaha here. But, the OP asked what is the better P-bass. The answer is......

THE P-BASS!!! :D

The Yamaha is killer if you are looking for something more modern-sounding with a nod to the classic tones, but if you want a P-bass then the 50's Classic is the best deal out there right now. The two I've played each held their own against an MIA P-bass and a Lakland Skyline Duck Dunn. Best P-bass under a grand out there right now. Kind of like the P-bass conterpart to the Geddy Lee Jazz Bass IMO.

14. thefunkelastic

thefunkelastic

Oct 23, 2007
    but once again I have to ask, how close can the yammie get to a P-bass tone/vibe? Can is produce a decent second?

15. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Well, it can definitely produce a decent sound. Its a nice bass. The BB414 would get closer to true P-bass tone since it's passive. Active pres tend to exaggerate certain frequencies, especially in the high register, that you'll have to EQ out of the 614 if you really want it to sound like a P-bass. I mean, you could still get pretty close with the BB614, but you would have to EQ it pretty carefully.

But, neither the BB414 or BB614 will truely capture the tone of a true P-bass. I suspect that a person who thought they had successfully mimicked the "P-bass tone" from the Yamaha would quickly change their mind once they actually played a good Fender P-bass. Just my $0.02 though

16. Strongjag

Strongjag

Aug 14, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Beards.

Hes pretty much nailed it straight on. You can get close, but the fact is I still bought a P-Bass for that P mojo and sound. For the record, the BB has passive pickups and an active pre, you can dial in a lot of great tones.

Anyways, I have both and enjoy both. If I could only have 1 though, I'd take the BB, does a decent job, has more flexibility, and I prefer slightly thinner necks. P's are kinda chunky to me. If you want P, and only P, well then get a P.