what P bass pu's?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tyburn, Feb 27, 2001.

1. while i'm trying to decide what i want this P bass to look like, i would appreciate it if u guys who have replaced the pu's on your p's to give me a roundup on the different makers P bass offerings.

i've got Dimarzio ultra jazz's in my j bass, so i want something thats typically P bass and that can cut though

but something thats not too raw/ brittle
    i'll be using it passive but if there are active alternatives that u like then tell me ,, if i can i'll try and play that manufactuers pickups before i get em, whenever that will be ?? also on an all maple neck,, if that makes the difference to anyone.

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Depends on what you mean by "cut through." I've used the Seymour Duncan SPB-2 and SPB-3, and I prefer the SPB-2. I have no problem being heard, but the highs are definitely more subdued than those of the SPB-3. I found the SPB-3 to be clickier, and that's why I went with the SPB-2. If you're looking for a Mike Dirnt-type sound, the SPB-3 is probably better, or maybe a DiMarzio. The Fender pups get pretty good reviews, too. I'm also using a sonic maximizer type device which helps me to be heard without excessive volume.
  3. I've replaced the stock pup in my MIM P-bass with a Duncan SPB-1. Not as much "cut", But it has a fat bottom and a much smoother top.
  4. I had quarter pounders on my old MIM p. They added some serious "oomph". Right now, I have a p-bass copy that I added EMG's to and they are pretty killer. Still sounds like a p-bass, too. They are easy to put in: no soldering required, and you can fit the 9V in the cavity w/o routing it out. They don't really sound too modern, either. Just more in your face.
  5. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I put a DiMarzio DP127 "Split P" on a fretless Yamaha `260.
    It gives a real "balanced" output - no dropouts (duh, blades vs poles).
    Also, it has good dynamic range - snappin' to tappin' (tappin' on a fretless? :eek: ).
    You can get one at M/F for around $70 with a black or white cover.

6. I have tried the DiMarzio model P, one of the Schallers (forget which) and a Bartolini...the 'vintage' sounding one. The best PU is, I think, the original American Standard that came with the bass...
  7. I am in the same position that you are in. I have a Fernandez P bass copy and I am replacing the pups on it. I have been shoppin' around since about september 2000 and I have decided on EMG-P's which are active. I'm going to have them by next week some time so i'll tell you how they sound.
  8. I pulled the original pups off of my Squire and replaced them with DiMarzio P's. In addition, I added an American Deluxe Jazz bridge pup. The DiMarzio P's sound great.
  9. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I've got Rio Grande " Vintage Replacement for P" in my '75 Precision. A little higher ouput than stock P's but with great clarity. I'm not a Punk guy but I could sure imagine these pups doing Punk really well. Deep lows and sparkly highs.
  10. I got my new EMG active P pups 2 days ago, and they are GREAT!!! everything is so much better now, its like the sprint PCS commercials. They gave my bass a lot more punch, with stronger lows mids and highs, and it makes it louder too. If you get replacement pups, these are definately what you are looking for.
  11. EMG pickups have a cutting sound to them IMO. I used to have them in my old p-bass and they made a huge difference. I hear the Seymour Duncan quarter pounds are good too.