1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What P bass should I look at in my price range?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by the art guy, Apr 1, 2009.

1. the art guy

the art guy Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2008
    Iowa
    Here's the deal: I want a vintage-style P, preferably with a not-too-chunky neck. Although I'm a fan of both reliced and non-reliced basses, I'm thinking I'd like this one to be a little "worn in" if possible. I'll have between 800 and 1000 to spend. What basses should I check out (Fender or otherwise, new or used)? I'd REALLY like a Nash, but the used ones I've seen are still a little out of reach......any suggestions?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Nothing wrong with a used MIA or MIJ Fender! I see totally sexy just-worn-in ones on Ebay all the time (like several per day), and some nice ones pop up in the TB classifieds from time to time as well. Look for the ones that have a "B" neck, or that have a Jazz neck on them. A used Lakland Skyline is a solid bet too.

3. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub

4. I know you're probably looking for a name plate.. a mid 90s Peavey Fury (made in america) and then beat it up. You can commonly find them shipped for under $200.. much faster playing than a Fender.... it wouldnt be a shame to totally relic the thing.

You'd then have $800 do dork around with

5. the art guy

Jun 19, 2008
    Iowa
    I appreciate the Peavey suggestion (and I'm not necessarily "looking for a nameplate"), but I already have a couple 200 dollar basses. So my goal was to get one really nice bass that could be my main player without needing upgrades, etc. for a long time.

Or are you saying that in your opinion there's no difference between a 200 dollar bass and a 1000 dollar bass?

6. I just checked out a Fender "road worn" P, I think it's Mexican...
    very cool, great feel, tone and look and way under your budget

or you can get an '08 Am Standard P and play the crap out of it until it's good and worn in...

7. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    Seconding the Glaub P. I've found out that the neck is a little too flat for me (ie. not chunky enough), but apart from that, it oozes quality, playability and it's a beauty. The woodmatching and finish is on par with any MIA Fender unless it's a custom shop one.

8. debassr

debassr

Jan 23, 2008
    Boston
    I have a 51P MIJ reissue listed for sale in the classifieds that is in excellent condition for much less than your budget.

9. afroman

afroman Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Skyline Glaub or a Skyline Dunn if you like a smaller neck profile (jazz bass like).

10. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
  11. Another vote for the Glaub/Dunn. Finding a beat up one might be tricky, but you'll have a couple Bens left over to blow on whiskey and women.

12. benc

benc

Jan 29, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Good ol' used 90's P's should fall right into your price range. They have the 1.625 neck that should qualify for your no-too-chunky qualifications. I would stay away from '62, '57 or "classic" anything if you don't like the chunky neck. In your avatar it looks like you have some sort of '57, '59, blonde-with-a-gold pickguard somthin-r-other, so you're hip.

13. Well you could do what I did. bought an American made Fender Precision Standard Bass.......@GC for $1300 with the hardshell moulded case and set up!mine happens to be the 3 color sunburst/tortoise shell .Plays beautifully and sounds even better than it looks.:bassist:

PBass club # 735
    Passive club# 117
    Big Cab club #61
    Ampeg club # 436

14. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    Man, there are some great P style basses in your price range floating around.... some right here on TB.

Don't rule out G&L SB1's or SB2's. The SB1, especially a late 80's vintage, is very sweet. Wider neck, but very shallow front to back.... roll off a bit of vol and tone, and you have a classic old P bass tone...... crank them both back up, and it turns into a grunty beast. The SB2's are nice too, and have the 1 1/2" neck.

I just picked up an '08 MIA P brand spankin new in your price range (I like to mojo them up myself). I don't normally give into GAS, but I made the mistake of playing it, and ended up walking out with it. I'm not a fan of slim necks, but what this one lacks in width is made up for in profile. Very fast for a P neck. Like the G&L or Laklands, the truss rod is easily adjusted (the main turn-off for me with RI's).

The MIM classic 50's P is killer. New, they fall in your budgetary requirements. You can even find them floating around used. Killer basses, but the necks are chunky...... to me it's made up for in those tiny little frets.

Lakland Skyline BD or DD.... killer axes too.

Lot's of great choices out there.

Ljazz

15. the art guy

Jun 19, 2008
    Iowa
    Man, I know everyone has said this at one point or another...but this is what I love about TB. Lots of great feedback so far, and I really appreciate it.

By the way, the one that looks like a '50s RI in my avatar is a parts bass I built. It's got a neck from an early '80s Squier Bullet bass that's really nice. Actually, that's the only one in the pic that I still own, and it's slated to be the backup for whatever I end up buying.

16. lavmonga

lavmonga

Jul 27, 2007
    New York, NY
    You can get a use MIA Highway 1 for about 500 or even less.

17. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Check out used MIA/CIJ P basses or Lakland Skyline Bob Glaubs.

18. IMO A maple neck Peavey Fury from the early nineties is equal to or better than American Fender Precisions from the same period. They typically had alnico V magnets, the fretwork was excellent, and the necks are solid, yet very thin (jazz like). The tolerances at Peavey USA were actually better than the tolerances at Fender USA back then. You really should give one a shot despite the discount prices they command.

19. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    +1. But they are getting tough to find and don't have the "look". Not that I would care if one fell in my lap tough.

20. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA