1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What P/J Set for 7.25" Radius?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tylerwylie, Oct 4, 2013.

1. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    Title says it all. I have the EMG PJX set on their currently but want to make the bass all passive. The set I'm really interested in trying is the Bartolini PJ Classic Bass set, but I'm not sure how well it'll work with this radius.

I know the Dimarzio Model J pickup has adjustable pole pieces as well. Any recommendations from you folks? I like a pretty bright and open tone and don't feel like plopping down more than 150-170ish on new pickups for this bass. Also plan on changing out the Badass II bridge for a new bridge as well.

2. Awesome Sauce

Awesome Sauce Already tired tomorrow

Dec 21, 2011
    NW Chicago 'burbs
    pm'd

Rob
    :bassist:

3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    for "bright, open, and passive", look at any good vintage-type P pickup (fender "original", duncan "vintage", etc.) and the dimarzio area J;

couple them with 500k pots and you'll have a clear and lively passive P/J set with no hum.

4. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    Does the Area J have adjustable pole pieces? I know the model J does.

5. Awesome Sauce

Awesome Sauce Already tired tomorrow

Dec 21, 2011
    NW Chicago 'burbs
    No, it doesn't, only the Model J's offer that feature; but theArea's are raised in the middle.

Rob
    :bassist:

6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    right;

the area Js address a personal annoyance of mine, jazz pickups with flat poles; how is that supposed to be a balanced setup with a curved radius string action?

yes, the typical fix is to keep the pickups lower overall so as to reduce output differences between strings, but why not just have the pickup be balanced in the first place?

7. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    sounds good, will just get the area p/j set since they look great for the money and I just want a good passive tone for my only passive bass lol.