1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What P/J Sets are out there for first DIY bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rogerbmiller, Apr 3, 2006.

1. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    I need some help. I decided to build a P/J bass and have started to buy parts. I have a body and nexk and I am now researching pickups and cannot find that many P/J sets for sale. Add to that, there really only seems to be just a few PU manufacturers I hear of -- EMG, DiMarzio, Bart, Armstrong, Fender, Schaller, Villex.

I have a few questions:

1) Any "off brands" I should be looking at? The usual names are pretty expensive and I want to keep costs way down.

2) Who makes good P/J sets and if I cannot get a set, what criteria should I use to mix and match Ps and Js? Who has a big selection to mix and match from?

3) Do any pickups come pre-wired to the pots? That would make my life easy!

Thanks.

2. Grab a EMG p/j set.Easy as can be!

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    depends on what your definition of 'keeping costs down' is. $100? $150?
    Nordstrand do a P/J set as well, which sounds great. The NP4 is the best aftermarket P pickup I've heard. The Dimarzio DM126 P/J set is GREAT bang for the buck, they sound great as well but it's definitely not a traditional P or J sound - depends on what sound you're wanting.
    As mentioned, the EMG P/J set will come with a wired harness that you just have to solder the pickups to.

4. TyKao

TyKao

Jun 29, 2003
    Hmm. I don't know if this is considered "cheap," but Sadowsky makes a P/J set of pickups for $160, which is a lot more reasonable than places like Aero or Lindy Fralin.

I don't know whether they're good or not, but you can get a pre-wired Kent Armstrong P/J set with a pickguard at WD Music for $185. I guess it's not that cheap unless you count in time costs and the like, but it is pretty convenient.

http://www.wdmusic.com/pj_bass_prewired_assembly_29828_prd1.htm

5. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    You could also get Seymour Duncan Basslines, with the SPB-1 vintage P-bass and SJB-1 Jazz or the Vintage Stack noiseless J. The pickups are about $65 each. I think they provide a more vintage tonality than the DiMarzio set, which is great for punk and hard rock, but not vintage as David Wilson wrote above. For more output, you could try the SPB-2 Hot for P and SJB-2 Hot for J. I have the Hot for P-bass, and it's an excellent all around pickup, with loads of punch for hard rock but an essentially vintage tonality.

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I'd post "WTB" postings here on the for sale section and look for second hand cast-offs from people who have replaced their pickups. The Reverend P pickups for sale currently are fantastic also.

7. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Thanks. i actually ended up buying the reverend PU's-- the price was right. I couldn't decide between the 10k and 8.7K P so I bought them both. Now the question is, which should I use? I think I will install a preamp in my Frankenstein.

8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I wouldnt bother with the pre until you've played with those passive. The Revend pickups are pretty hot. Not bad sounding either. Not every bass out there needs to be active...

9. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Agreed. however, I was thinking of putting in just a mid sweep to get that very active tone. Sort of like a Wal.