What paint and sandpaper to touch up some body damage?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TimBosby, Feb 9, 2009.

1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    I am about to head over to Ace hardware to get some black paint and some sandpaper to do some touch up work on my Ibanez.

I need some recommendations as to types/brands of black paint to buy and what types/grits of sandpaper. This will be a pretty crude touch up (I've already done what I can) and I am not really concerned about reapplying a top coat. I just need some glossy black paint and sandpaper recommendations. I'll use Nano-wax to get some of the sheen back once I build up a few layers of paint, let them dry, and fine sand them down. Your recommendations are appreciated! :)

Here's a picture of the damage:

http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd252/TimBosby/Ibby/?action=view&current=Ibbyfretless003.jpg

2. MadMan118

MadMan118

Jan 10, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    High-gloss black paint, or high gloss clear coat. and about 300, 400-600 grit sandpaper.

3. Georynn

Georynn

Dec 4, 2007
    Memphis,Tn
    If you were careful you might could drop fill (using a q-tip or a toothpick) the black paint into the scratch, until you built up enough to cover the scratch then sand it back down even even.
    start with 600-800 grit in a larger area and then sand it with 1500 grit, until the area is pretty even. Then use some cutting compound like they use on cars, then buff the area.. kinda dicey though as its on a curved surface....

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021