Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What parts does the greatest of tone come from?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rumzini, Sep 17, 2004.

1. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Well...just like the question asks. I know that it is a culmination of all the parts. Is there a certain part of the bass that the tone comes from the most? Body, neck, strings, pickups???

I hope this isn't an ignorant question?

2. mattmcnewf

mattmcnewf

May 27, 2004
    fingers? maybe i don't now

3. I'd say that the first thing the average (non musician) listener would notice is the pickups, and preamp. Probably followed by the wood, and the strings (Flat, Round, Nickel, Stainless).

its hard to pinpoint but, I think the electronics make the most difference that everyone will notice. wood makes a difference but I doubt a non bass player could tell the difference between a alder jazz and a ash jazz with the same pickups.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think strings make a bigger difference than wood, to a non music listener.

But in order i think it goes:
    1) type of pickup, ie: single coil, humbucker, soapbar, etc, and the preamp, and active vs passive electronics.
    2) type of strings, ie: rounds vs flats. Its quite a noticeable difference.
    3) wood

Fingers makes a big difference though, but thats kind of a given.

5. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Wood and construction.

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    They could if you played them side by side;)

I'd say the biggest difference simply cannot be pinpointed... it depends on the bass.

The biggest difference in general can usually be attibuted to the player. "How" you play the bass in question can make all the difference in the world.

7. rickets9

rickets9

Mar 6, 2004
    pick or fingers? i play with my fingers and it also depends on the pickups do you have a bridge and neck pickup? and it depends on the sound you want. many factors and whats your stlye? funk rock ?and the song if you want more of a throaty sound go with the neck pickup alot of things to consider

8. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    The pickguard...definitely

9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    In the actual physical components of the bass, from what I've noticed, it goes:

Strings
    Pickups
    Woods

I find technique and the amp come in ahead of anything else though.

10. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    No way dude, it's whether you have wood pickup covers & neck led's or not.

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    No dude its whether or not you use a Warwick and get the Nickelback crunch tone.

12. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    ...that doesn't even make sense...

Anyway, a lot of the people around here really seem to underestimate the impact on tone of strings. My friend was surprised I could tell the guy on stage was using new rounds by the sound...I was surprised he couldn't tell.

13. Aw c'mon now, everybody knows it's the strap that influences the tone.

14. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    :D

15. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Checkered ones definitely have the crispest highs I've ever heard. They can get a bit brittle with MM style humbuckers, so you might want to beef up the lows with a mahogany headstock veneer.

16. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    You're a quick one.

17. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    They call me Speedy Gonzalez! :D