1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What parts would make the ultimate rat?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Adienn7, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Adienn7

Adienn7

Jan 26, 2007
    I'm not looking at making a clone right now, more like just to have the knowledge for future use.
    But beside the LM308.
    What would make the ultimate rat pedal.
    What parts would you use?

If you have sound example of the ultimate Rat please post.

oZZma likes this.
  2. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Do you mean like technically as in the type of diodes and so forth?

Or are you just asking about what would make the ultimate rat pedal in controls and characteristics as in the tonal options a builder puts into it?

For me, the perfect bass rat would be one of the original ProCo Rats with a clean blend like the Damnation Audio Bloop integrated into it. So a really simple one with a nice, low passed blend added to it. Or in Jeff's words "a parallel low-passed JFET boost channel". If we could add that to either an old ProCo or a Fuzzro Rat Tail, I'd be a very happy man. I already kinda have that with my Rat Tail and Bloop though. So go figure ;)

theunknowndude, rratajski and Adienn7 like this.
  3. Adienn7

Adienn7

Jan 26, 2007
    all the above amigo.. you know I left it open to see what info I can get.. if you got a list of parts. post it.. even brands.. I love details.. it all helps.

gregmon79 likes this.
  4. 2010P

2010P Banned

May 13, 2017
    The answers are already here. Whatever is in my Volt Thrower for one, and whatever is inside my LWA Plague Rat with blend is another.

SunnBass, TodaysTomSawyer and Adienn7 like this.
  5. Adienn7

Adienn7

Jan 26, 2007
    Volt thrower is a rat+.. Lwa
    The tall font muff clone has modded knob pot. I wonder if those knob pots would help the rat?

6. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    My early 90s RAT was way more bass friendly after I did the Reutz Mod. Less gain, more low end.
    Make that switchable and add a 4th knob for variable, blended clean low pass and all is great.

gregmon79 and Adienn7 like this.
  7. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Say huh?? haha "modded knob pot"??

I know I think the Volt Thrower is pretty damn close to the "perfect" rat for bass in many peoples eyes on here.

I'll add this, if I was able to get the high mid presence/grind/attack with the fullness and sag of the blower box, that would be perfection for me. The blower box is one of my favs. If it had just a little more high mid grunt/attack, it would be perfect.

The issue I've noticed with rats is, if you start adding too much low end, it starts turning into something that's not a rat. The rat is all about the high mid rip IMO. The Rat Tail has that in spades but lacks just a touch of low end for me. I run mine through a Damnation Audio Blend/Looper (I call it a Bloop) and it helps a little. It would be cooler to have that ability IN the rat tail. It would be easier to manage as it's not the only thing I run in the loop and the blender has an effect on my whole signal chain so I don't run it super high or else my whole signal gets too woofy with low end.

I always felt if someone could find a way to smoosh the circuits from the blower box and the rat tail together, you'd (or rather, I) would have a perfect rat.

rratajski likes this.
  8. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Boo-ya. That's what's up. I would love to play your rat. Sounds sweet.

9. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Lone Wolf Audio (I think you were kinda asking what that was right?).

10. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    I think the MXR version that Ryan of fuzzrocious collaborated with is pretty freakin awesome.

rratajski and gregmon79 like this.
  11. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    The Reutz mod is really easy. It's just clipping one leg of a 47ohm resistor from the board. It's accessible from the battery compartment, too. Literally took 2 minutes to open it up, clip and close it up! FWIW, it sounds better on guitar this way (for my needs), too. I'm sure adding a low pass blend wouldn't be too hard, there is plenty of room in the box for circuitry.

12. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    Just buy a Volt Thrower

TodaysTomSawyer likes this.
  13. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I thought it was more involved than that. I could do that. Can that be done to the new newer versions like you'd buy in a GC these days?

14. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Yes, that one was awesome too. I need to try that one again. I got one when they first came out and I liked it but I don't think I gave it's fair share of live playing time. I remember thinking I had issues in the mix with it. But now I'm in a different band the RT is a tad too grindy for their sound. May need to revisit!

rratajski and ugly_bassplayer like this.
  15. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    i dunno. Maybe?
    Here's the directions.
    Open up the RAT and take a look at the circuit board. Locate the Distortion potentiometer and its associated lug 3. Attacked to it, you should find two resistors, a 560 ohm (green-blue-brown bands) resistor and a 47 ohm (yellow-purple-black) resistor. These two resistors lead to 4.7μ and 2.2μ capacitors, respectively, which then lead to ground. The dead-simple, quasi-luddite mod is to just snip one leg of the 47 ohm resistor clean away, then bend it so that it doesn’t touch anything. Yes, that is really it.

gregmon79 likes this.
  16. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Well, in that case, I may need to grab a cheapy rat and see what's up. I always really liked the ProCo's and they way they looked. But man did they rob me of so much booty. It was so non existent. Seems pretty straight forward. Thanks.

17. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Yes it does. Usually I don't like clean blends but this one works for a magical reason or another.....go figure....

gregmon79 likes this.
  18. Adienn7

Adienn7

Jan 26, 2007
    a bass rst

gregmon79 likes this.
  19. radiophonic

radiophonic

May 9, 2013
    I took a stock ProCo Turbo Rat, did the Reutz mod and I run it with clean blend via a looper. It's everything I want from a Rat and from bass distortion generally. Initially I wasn't sure about it - the mod gives it a lot more headroom and the distortion sound does change beyond just having more low end as advertised. In fact I initially felt thatI'd possibly wrecked a perfectly good pedal, but longer term, I think the increased low end helps with the clean blending so you don't get the 'parallel clean/dirty'effect and in a band mix with a loud drummer it stays proper gnarly and doesn't get lost. Anyway, aside from being awkward to fit on a board, it's the Rat sound that works for me. I greatly prefer the clipping of a Turbo Rat to a standard Rat though.

gregmon79 likes this.
  20. I switched to using octave fuzzes with clean blends in them... but the ballsiest / brassiest sound I have ever made is a boss PS3 set one octave up 50/50 wet (so pretty much clean blend) into a stock Proco turbo rat... sold off the PS3 but still have the turbo rat and now have a bass whammy so I guess could try it again some day.

gregmon79 likes this.