1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What parts would make the ultimate rat?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Adienn7, Jan 13, 2019.

1. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Oh wow, that looks awesome!! Thanks for sharing.

2. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I love how the rat and muff sound with the Whammy. Sooo gooooooo

3. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    I have modded my rat signifigantly.

The IC doesnt matter too much, unless you want to have more control over it, then the 308 is the way to go.

Swapping a few caps here and there let more bass through and seemed to do so without robbing the rat sound too much.

Turn the ruetz mod into the Lube mod, and take control of that mid hump for the better!

Clipping diodes do certainly make audible changes that vary the tone slightly, but most noticably the volume. No clipping diodes is a good sound mostly, untl you get to high gain, then its too over the top. LEDs (Turbo Rat) sound loud and harsh, but good; Germanium (you dirty rat) make it sound a bit flabby and less aggressive; Mosfets are an interesting choice, tighter bottom, smoother; Mosfet + germanium is cool too. Schottky is quiet but tons of texture; using 4 stock diodes sounds decent, but a bit too compressed for me; ultimately, I took out the 10 clipping option switch, and put in a 3 way. Asymetrical clipping is interesting...

Soft clipping is fun, and can take it close to Fuzz territory easily. Its cool to have this adjustable as it can cut the lows.

I have favorite settings for guitar and for bass that tend to be quite different. Never felt the need to clean blend it.

The one thing I dont like about now is that the clipping is very sharp, and doesnt get round and warm. If I figured that part out, it would probably be my only clipping pedal on my board.

Adienn7 likes this.
  4. Adienn7

Adienn7

Jan 26, 2007
    The fat rat and beta overdrive lm308n have mosfet options and they sound good

5. Adienn7

Adienn7

Jan 26, 2007

changed r17 to 4.7k, r19-120k, and c9-1uf

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021