1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What passes for news

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Smokin' Toaster, Jul 3, 2012.

1. I've got Google desktop on my desk at work. Supposedly I get the most important news bits on it.

Yesterday, Airbus announced that they would be building a facility to build A-320s here in Mobile, Alabama. Pretty big news, first facility to build Airbus planes in the US. No mention of it on the Google desktop. The western US is burning Up, no mention on Google desktop. Important stories. I could cite half a dozen others that affect lots and lots of people. So what's the biggest two stories ( in terms of the number of hits) on the Google News feed? Anderson Cooper comes out of the closet and Tom Cruse and Kate Hudson are divorcing.

Western civilization, or at least the gray matter of the masses, is officially in full blown decay.

2. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    just wait jennifer aniston might get her hair cut too

3. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    We already know that. The question is, why are you still looking for real news to pop up on Google News Feed?

4. pmchenry

pmchenry

May 6, 2012
    SE PA
    Anderson Cooper came out of the closet?!

5. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Google lost about 99% of it's credibility as an information search tool for me when it made it's shopping price service pay to play for the seller.

It's one thing to order the results, it's another thing entirely to filter them.

6. pmchenry

pmchenry

May 6, 2012
    SE PA
    Also, this seems relevant to this post. (Credit to xkcd.com)

public_opinion.

7. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I thought it was a well known fact that he was gay. But really, what does it matter?

Small minds discuss people. Average minds discuss events. Great minds discuss ideas.

8. viper4000

viper4000

Aug 17, 2010
    Charlotte
    There's a little light of brilliance here........oh there it is, right there.

9. pmchenry

pmchenry

May 6, 2012
    SE PA
    Err... that was a joke.

10. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    That wasnt necessarily directed at you.

Well, I cant take credit. Thats Eleanor Roosevelt. Though, I did rearrange it some.

11. OH NO!!!! Good question!! Maybe the decay has spread to my gray matter!

12. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Elenor Roosevelt wasn't it?

I love that quote. One of my favorite shut -r- downers.

13. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Well, I dont think you'd be here asking if that were the case.
    I think you just hold higher expectations of Google, perhaps of all news sources.
    Not that we shouldnt, I just came to the conlusion that this world (maybe just the US) is mostly run by the gray mattter deficient.
    Not really, I think its (the media) more of a well calculated ploy to have everyone look stage left at the smoke and mirrors, while the sleight of hand takes place stage right.

14. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

15. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    "News" has become yet another form of entertainment, complete with it's heroes and villains, it's sweethearts and scapegoats...

It's an industry, folks and it's designed to make money. Do you really think that you're going to get pure, unbiased reporting from any of them? Some are better than others, sure.

16. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

And that itself is not news...

Neil Postman pointed it out already around the end of the 70's in his book "Amusing Ourselves to Death." There's a chapter on TV news titled "And now... this." (nice nod to Monty Python, I always thought). He asks the quite perceptive question, "What does exciting, dramatic music have to do with the news?" TV news always has this wham-bang soundtrack. Why? To make it... more entertaining.

Of course, we also get the Yahoo or Google home page for free. There's a certain element of griping here that our free services don't deliver high-quality product. You get what you pay for. In the heyday of the newspaper, you actually had to buy a subscription to get access to the journalism...

17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I could really go off on this topic, but I won't. But just so you know, Justin Bieber hung up on a radio show host.

18. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    That dick! The nerve...

19. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Google, Yahoo and AOL's home pages are the absolute worst when it comes to "news".