1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What Pbass pickup for this tone???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BrandonBass, Mar 22, 2013.

1. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006

it looks like a lakland, could it be stock?

2. Britbonic

Britbonic Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    It's a Lakland - you can tell by the bridge. Suspect any decent PBass pickup will work. Hard to tell from video since probably some combination of DI and/or mic as well as post EQ on the video.

3. bluesbasshound

bluesbasshound

Jan 31, 2006
    Florida
    If I may add, it sounds to me like her action is low, so when digging in with fingers the notes "choke" a bit causing that maple fret board to speak more. I play a P bass with Seymour Duncan Antiquity ll pups and get a nice sound with plenty of thump, but with lower action to get that maple board "dry" kind of tone. I've noticed Julie plays alot with a pick on other recordings. She gets a nice "grind" tone with the classic SVT/ P BASS combo! :cool:

4. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    She switches to a pick later in the song. I agree that it sounds like low action and hot being shy about hitting the strings with some force. It gives it a nice bite.

I often get that choked type of tone from playing that way. Like here:

http://youtu.be/ShrbiKnOFuU

5. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Also, a Keeley four-knob compressor.

6. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.