Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What pedal am I looking for?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Wespe, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Wespe

Wespe

Feb 21, 2006
    I'm looking into getting an octaver pedal to accomodate a Morley Dual Bass wah, and the kind of octaver I'm looking for is one that produces the octaved note, but not the actual note being played. Most of the octave pedals I see play both the actual note and the filtered note, but the one that I've seen that hasn't is an Ampeg Scrambler pedal which runs for 180 dollars, which is a bit over my head. Are there any cheaper alternatives that fit what I'm looking for?

Has anyone ever used this before? http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--ASDEPOP

2. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    A DT Whammy can do this and a bit more. Look for one used.

3. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    yeah, the Diditech Whammy would probably be a good option. I used out will probably go for about $140, and you'll get a let of other good features with it.

-Dash

4. The Boss super octave oc3 can do it too

5. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    +1 on the Whammy, I love mine and you use it more than you'd think.

6. Bza Triumphant

Bza Triumphant

Feb 17, 2006
    I just picked up the Ampeg SCP-OCT Octave Pedal. If you look on line you can find new out the box for under $140. Buy it from a company like musician's friend who matched prices for a solid return if you don't like it. You can blend the signal and octave to play the not below or some of both. It brings the doom like it's supposed to.

7. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Oh, Man - I got to play with one of those for the first time recently. It was very solid and 'muscular' sounding - right, Bza: 'brings the doom'.

I'm more interested in the Boss OC-3, my self - in poly mode - it grabs me as more 'haunting' and trippy sounding. I really like it. Don't get me wrong, now - it isn't weak in any-manner, but I could play double-stops or multiple harmonic pings, and it would exhibit 'side-effects' that were mysterious and cool. The Ampeg unit garbled stuff like that a little, unless I ran very little of the octave mixed-in.

When I played low notes on the OC-3 - like below A, maybe - it wasn't strictly an octave, though. It was - I dunno - a trippy, clangy fifth sort of thing or something. I mean, I liked it!

This thread is a little confusing, in that it has been fairly ambiguous as to whether the poster is looking for up-octave or down-octave. He did say 'Scrambler', which is loosly-speaking, a UP-octaver.

8. So can the OC-2! In fact, I'm having a hard time thinking of an octaver that doesn't give you the option of turning down the direct signal.

9. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I can think of several; that's kinda what I'm saying at the end of my last post: UP-octavers. Up-octavers like the octavia are known to not let you elliminate the dry signal. Right?

He said "scrambler", which is an UP, like UP- octaver.

Joe

10. Wespe

Wespe

Feb 21, 2006
    I think I'm going to go with the Boss OC3, once I get the money, and if I'm not satisfied I'll just save my money for the Ampeg.

Thanks guys.

11. good point joe, a few of us have missed that until you made the point clearly for the second time! :bag:

Wespe, there's some confusion here between UP octaves and DOWN octaves. It would seem you're after an UP octaver, is that correct? In that case, the Boss OC-2 or OC-3 are no good to you as they are down octaves only.