1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What pedal(s) are you all buying this Black Friday?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by vivaknoxvegas, Nov 23, 2017.

1. RickenCliff

RickenCliff

Aug 6, 2012
    St. Louis
    received_10215946107031957. Got these guys in from Mr. Black's friday sale today! Spooky echoes ensue!

leamdav likes this.
  2. rjovin

rjovin Supporting Member

May 27, 2011
    tampa, fl
    M g r is back?

Marial likes this.
  3. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    Maybe a great copycat?

blindrabbit, Marial and rjovin like this.
  4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Troll threadcrap and subsequent flame war removed. We'll try reopening this as long as it can remain relatively on subject.

smperry, DDXdesign, Oneud and 4 others like this.
  5. GentProvocateur

GentProvocateur Supporting Member

Been really interested in the supermoon

6. 73BLow

73BLow Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2017
    Central MA
    Decided to take advantage of the 25% off at Prymaxe and just ordered 3Leaf Doom and Proton.

7. nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    Those are heard to beat. I got my Octabvre mini the last time they had a big 25+% sale. It comes out to cheaper than when Spencer puts crazy discounted blemished units on reverb. Hard to beat a brand new pedal priced at lower than the used market.

blindrabbit likes this.
  8. XXL

XXL calm seas dont make skilled sailors Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2007
    I got a deal on an amazing compressor!

9. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    What sort of comp is it and how's it sound? I love the name and graphics - usually dirt pedals get all the cool-identity glory! I'd repaint it to make her Samus Aran, just for shiggles. =0)

XXL likes this.
  10. XXL

XXL calm seas dont make skilled sailors Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Samus Aran! :thumbsup:

The Photon is an opto comp. I think it sounds fantastic and is super easy to use and has a nicely implemented blend. The comp knob has ratios from 2.5:1 at min and 8:1 at max. Threshold is a switch that helps with active or passive basses, seems to help with buckers to single coils pickups as well.

It has the switching bypass system I've been searching for!! It's very quiet with no pop!!

It's an all analog relay bypass system with a switch transition muting system. No microcontrollers, so no clock noise going into the power supply and audio path, also if the power is cut it still has a bypass. Very quiet for a compressor!

The ELC side chain is beyond me but this is what he said when I asked about it: "The integrated sidechain EQ is also something of beauty and what makes this compressor so exciting. It is designed to mimic the equal loudness contours of the human ear. This compressor is listening carefully and knows just how much compression to apply. No more blindly squashing low notes into oblivion like so many other compressors. Without deluging too much information, the side chain is essentially a series of weighting filters that compensates for the Equal Loudness Contour of the human ear. This allows the compressor to track the perceived volume as opposed to signal amplitude alone."

I love everything about this pedal!

11. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Dig it! Love to try one out sometime, but Doc Lloyd isn't exactly a brand that shows up at the local shops =0)

12. 73BLow

73BLow Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2017
    Central MA
    I just ordered the Octabvre mini too.

rjovin and nshuman like this.
  13. nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    It's a cool pedal.

14. rjovin

rjovin Supporting Member

May 27, 2011
    tampa, fl
    i've had mine for a few weeks now and i dig it a lot.

15. boomertech

boomertech Frank Appleton Commercial User

Apr 8, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Designer/Owner of FEA Labs
    This is a equal loudness chart:
    400px-Lindos1.svg.
    The inverse of the 40 phon curve is what 'A' Weighting on a sound meter is. These curves show the dB SPL for what a young ear determines as being the same volume. Basically your ear is most sensitive between 2-6KHz, a little less sensitive bump around 1.5KHz and a lot less sensitive below 800Hz and above 6KHz.

So for a side-chain, you would apply filters for the inverse of one of these curves to get an ELC compensation. Some comps use a HPF (high pass filter) in their side-chains to accommodate for the huge bass curve from 800Hz and below.

Edit: Do they still call those bass-boost buttons on home stereos a "loudness" button?

-Frank

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  16. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    I got the Imperial last night. Again, I am dissapoint a little, my line level is too high for it's input so I'm not getting a clean attack. The freq. of the mid boost is too high so I'm using the scooped setting. Crazy. The TAFM stays after having slayed in less than 20 seconds. Imperial does sound nice in the high register, so I'll either use it with a Casio keyboard or give it as a Christmass gift to my Jazz bass playing snow-plow guy. I might see him this weekend. Still have Boneshaker in-coming!

17. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    I thought they were more than just bass boost, although maybe not on cheap systems! The "loudness" curve on my dbx gorack is bass and treble boost combined with some mid and high cut, as you'd expect from the equal loudness chart you posted.

boomertech likes this.
  18. boomertech

boomertech Frank Appleton Commercial User

Apr 8, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Designer/Owner of FEA Labs
    Yes, when the "loudness" button was first implemented it was a big bass boost with a small highs boost. Most everyone I know referred to is as a "bass boost" button tho. Those of us that spent our teen years in the 70's remember everyone's stereo having that button pressed in.:thumbsup:

-Frank

19. Got my $35 boneshaker last night plugged it in at practice and dialed in a great tone right off the bat. This will still be around long after that $35 bottle of bourbon would have been.

20. Bass Battalion

Bass Battalion

Jan 5, 2014
    know what You're thinking, go to Korg instead lookaround Kaosillator, Akai Mpd Series or Novation Launchpad, Soon You'll be on Your own away from band practice, in your home studio wanting for more...