1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What pedal will solve this problem

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mrsquishy, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Hi all from TB!

I use a Fender MIA Jazz and I always seem to get alot of highs although the highs have been brought down on both my mxr m80 and the amp. I currently have a compressor alongside the d.i.

What pedal do I need to be able to get the lows clearer and nto overpowered by the highs?

Perhaps an eq pedal? or an expander? or a boost? or a micro amp? I have really no clue!

Please help me!

2. B.C.

B.C. Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana
    The best thing to do, IMHO is re-eq your amp. This will be your best bet to get the tone you're looking for. Try boosting the low mids to help that bottom come out.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    What exact amp are you using?

4. im using a 35w ibanez but ive tried it with a trace elliot and a crate 170w as well. prob is the trebles are really louder than then low strings. im using a 4 string btw. i suppose perhaps it has to do with the pickups or something but im nt sure. a friend suggested an eq pedal so im seeking opinions from fellow TBers..:)

5. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Try rolling off the highs with the passive tone control. Works wonders for me whenever I use passive Fenderish instruments, even if I'm normally a treble crankin' sumbitch with my active basses.

Also, if certain strings are louder/quieter than others, raising/lowering the pickup(s) helps tremendously. Adjust top and bottom heights according to what is loud/quiet. Too many slashes.

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Take the bass in to a shop that specializes in guitar repair (i.e. NOT Guitar Center) and ask for a complete setup. It shouldn't cost more than $40, and it will almost certainly solve your problem. Basically they will adjust the pickup height, the intonation and height of the strings, and several other small details that will make your bass sound its best. They will also be able to tell you if there is anything actually wrong with the bass that needs repairing or replacing.

7. oh i suppose that wil help! thanks guys. hahah i shall save up some money then on more pedals!

8. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    What settings are you using on MXR M80? You should be able to roll off the highs from there.

9. bassman03

bassman03

May 19, 2008
    Sully, Iowa
    +1 to what's been said about taking it to a guitar shop. A pedal is going to be more of a band-aid. If taking it in still doesn't fix it, and you're still looking for a pedal, i suggest a BBE Sonic Stomp. I have it set so it fattens my lows and clears my highs. Don't know if that's gonna do what you want, but i'll try anyway.

10. JFace

JFace

Apr 17, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    A pickup change might be in order. My SX P/J bass had a similar sound, which was pleasant, but I preferred something clearer in the low end as well. I changed to dimarzio pickups and it solved it. The highs were present and musical, and the lows were clear like I've never heard before, while retaining the character of the P and J pickups. All of this for less than a lot of pedals out there ($100).