1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

what pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Fishbrain, Dec 15, 2000.

1. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    I am in a band and I have been playing bass for about 6 months. I wants to get the effects like in Red Hot Chile peppers and other ones like that.

I don't wanna be spending loads on my first pedal, any ideas what i should get?

2. VictorLeMonteWooten

VictorLeMonteWooten

Dec 6, 2000
    Well, bands use many different pedals, try to indentify a song or something if you want to know what effect is being used. SPECIFY.

It doesn't sound like you know much about pedals so here are the names of a few:
    flanger
    distortion
    wah wah
    chorus
    overdrive
    volume pedal
    phase shifter
    reverb
    digital delay
    talk box
    many different simulators

i could go on forever, so i have to say "do the research yourself"

3. Yertle The Turtle

Yertle The Turtle

Nov 15, 2000
    Flea's effects are:

1.Electro-Harmonix Q-Tron enveloppe filter (he previously used a DOD EF but they have this massive spike on bass)
    2.Jim Dunlop 105Q Bass Wah
    3.Boss ODB-3 Bass Distortion
    4,Something that is either a booster pedal or a phaser/flanger mixed thing.

4. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Thanx, I've heard of most of them, wah wah distortion and the common ones like that.

I don't know if you've heard Sir Pysco Sexy? But its like in that. I think its a synthesiser but could you tell me like a name of a pedal please?

Thanx

5. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    Flea uses a korg g-5 synth on sir psyco

6. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA.
    What options does a Q-tron have over say the Mutron III? There both envelope filters right?

7. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    do u know who much in £'s a g-5 synth would cost?

8. Yertle The Turtle

Yertle The Turtle

Nov 15, 2000
    I was under the impression that the Sir Psycho Sexy IS an Envellope Filter.....or maybe the EF just sounds extremely similar...

Anyway, I think the Mu-Tron has less of a 'wah' sound personally as a Q-Tron. Personally. But it's still cool none the less.

9. I think Sir Psycho Sexy is an envelope filter and a phaser.

10. wah pedals are great if you know how to use them, and if you dont want to let the guitar player have all the fun. I'd go with a wah, then distortion. then do whatever you want because any effect can be cool if used with a wah pedal. i recomend the dumnop 105 Q.
    Chris

11. I have no idea what flea uses, but it seems to work.

Sorry, this is a bit off topic...I have a question. What's the difference between a Boss OBD-3 distortion pedal and a Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal??

12. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    The Q-Tron is a remake of the Mu-Tron III. Mutronics went out of business in the 70's and its been out of production ever since. It just started being produced again, for $300+ though. The Q-Tron has the same specs as the Mu-Tron and is being produced by the originator of the Mu-Tron III, but with Electro-Harmonix instead of Mutronics. There is a Q-Tron+ out now, which has a few more options, plus an effects loop. I don't own any pedals yet, but the Q-Tron+ will definately be my first, very very soon.

David