Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Fishbrain, Dec 15, 2000.

1. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    I am in a band and I have been playing bass for about 6 months. I wants to get the effects like in Red Hot Chile peppers and other ones like that.

I don't wanna be spending loads on my first pedal, any ideas what i should get?

2. VictorLeMonteWooten

VictorLeMonteWooten

Dec 6, 2000
    Well, bands use many different pedals, try to indentify a song or something if you want to know what effect is being used. SPECIFY.

It doesn't sound like you know much about pedals so here are the names of a few:
    flanger
    distortion
    wah wah
    chorus
    overdrive
    volume pedal
    phase shifter
    reverb
    digital delay
    talk box
    many different simulators

i could go on forever, so i have to say "do the research yourself"

3. Yertle The Turtle

Yertle The Turtle

Nov 15, 2000
    Flea's effects are:

1.Electro-Harmonix Q-Tron enveloppe filter (he previously used a DOD EF but they have this massive spike on bass)
    2.Jim Dunlop 105Q Bass Wah
    3.Boss ODB-3 Bass Distortion
    4,Something that is either a booster pedal or a phaser/flanger mixed thing.

4. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Thanx, I've heard of most of them, wah wah distortion and the common ones like that.

I don't know if you've heard Sir Pysco Sexy? But its like in that. I think its a synthesiser but could you tell me like a name of a pedal please?

Thanx

5. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    Flea uses a korg g-5 synth on sir psyco

6. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    What options does a Q-tron have over say the Mutron III? There both envelope filters right?

7. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    do u know who much in £'s a g-5 synth would cost?

8. Yertle The Turtle

Yertle The Turtle

Nov 15, 2000
    I was under the impression that the Sir Psycho Sexy IS an Envellope Filter.....or maybe the EF just sounds extremely similar...

Anyway, I think the Mu-Tron has less of a 'wah' sound personally as a Q-Tron. Personally. But it's still cool none the less.

9. I think Sir Psycho Sexy is an envelope filter and a phaser.

10. wah pedals are great if you know how to use them, and if you dont want to let the guitar player have all the fun. I'd go with a wah, then distortion. then do whatever you want because any effect can be cool if used with a wah pedal. i recomend the dumnop 105 Q.
    Chris

11. I have no idea what flea uses, but it seems to work.

Sorry, this is a bit off topic...I have a question. What's the difference between a Boss OBD-3 distortion pedal and a Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal??

12. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    The Q-Tron is a remake of the Mu-Tron III. Mutronics went out of business in the 70's and its been out of production ever since. It just started being produced again, for $300+ though. The Q-Tron has the same specs as the Mu-Tron and is being produced by the originator of the Mu-Tron III, but with Electro-Harmonix instead of Mutronics. There is a Q-Tron+ out now, which has a few more options, plus an effects loop. I don't own any pedals yet, but the Q-Tron+ will definately be my first, very very soon.

David