1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What pedals should i get?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Lauri Lahtinen, Sep 2, 2020.

1. Lauri Lahtinen

Lauri Lahtinen

Sep 1, 2020
    Hi, i am a 16 yr bassist from Finland. I have just discovered the world of pedals and i would really like to start building a pedalboard of some sorts for myself. Do you have any recommendations? Whats absolutely a must have? I really like boss pedals, but thats probably because its the only brand ive tried (ive got a OC-2).
    Thanks in advanced, Lauri

Meaculpa likes this.
  2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Welcome to TalkBass!!!!

What kinds of music do you play? What kinds of sounds/tones do you need?

3. Lauri Lahtinen

Lauri Lahtinen

Sep 1, 2020
    Mostly rock, maybe (if forced) pop and some times some funk.

4. jbhaugh

jbhaugh Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2018
    ABQ, NM, USA
    I know it might be tempting to just try to get one of every kind of effect, but if you do that you will end up spending a lot of money on pedals you won't ever use. OC-2 is a good start. If you like synthy bass sounds, maybe look into getting a fuzz pedal, an envelope filter, and a chorus pedal, as those 3 effects can combine well to give nice bass synth sounds. It all depends on what kind of sounds you are trying to achieve.

Nobis17 and gh0st42 like this.
  5. gh0st42

gh0st42 Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2019
    Colorado
    We live in an amazing time, for number of incredible bass specific pedals.

In general, the following are good versatile pedals to start with, but of course will depend on your style, equipment, and what you are shooting for:

Compressor
    Overdrive,Distortion, or Fuzz - Depending on how "Dirty or Heavy" you are going for.
    Auto Wah or Envelope Filter - If you need some Funk, this is the way to go.
    Octave- You got this covered pretty well with your OC-2
    Chorus- Or maybe Flanger or phaser depending on your taste for Modulation.
    EQ - A few options, Graphic, Parametric, High Pass and Low Pass Filters... just depends what you like and need.

6. jbhaugh

Dec 28, 2018
    ABQ, NM, USA
    If you are looking for rock sounds some kind of overdrive, distortion, and/or fuzz pedal would be a good start. If you just want a light rock OD, a Rat circuit made specially to sound good on bass is a nice place to look, because it can go from pleasing light OD all the way to fuzz, basically. The Fuzzrocious Cat Tail is a good one that is not too expensive or hard to find, as is the MXR Bass Distortion. People also like Darkglass pedals, but I am not personally a big fan. If you want huge heavy dirt I am a fan of the EHX Green Russian Big Muff re-issue, because it sounds good and is pretty cheap.

gh0st42 and RattleSnack like this.
  7. Lauri Lahtinen

Lauri Lahtinen

Sep 1, 2020
    Yeah i was thinking that a compressor could be my next purchaise. What is the Boss alternative for an overdrive? And is it any good? Im asking because im rolling in a budget and boss pedals are easiest to find used here in Finland. And btw thank you for your help, now i have some kind of an idea what to get (maybe?)

8. Lauri Lahtinen

Lauri Lahtinen

Sep 1, 2020
    And also, should i first collect the essential pedals and then buy a power source and a board? Or should i do it the other way around?

9. gh0st42

gh0st42 Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2019
    Colorado
    I'd recommend figuring out what pedals you like and want to keep first, if possible. Then base your Pedal Board and Power Supply Choices around that, to make sure you get all the features on both that you need long term.

Otherwise you may go through a couple Pedal Boards and Power Supplies while figuring out what effects you will be keeping.

Otherwise, stick with the cheapest Pedal Board and Power Supply you can get away with now. That way it's not a huge loss if you end up needing to upgrade/downgrade higher quality ones later.

10. Lauri Lahtinen

Lauri Lahtinen

Sep 1, 2020
    Hey, sorry for spamming but i have an opportunity to pick one of these: Boss OD-1 1982 or Boss DS-1 1979 silver screw. Price is the same. Which one?

11. jbhaugh

Dec 28, 2018
    ABQ, NM, USA
    Both of those will suck all the low end out of your tone. In fact, I have never played a Boss dirt pedal that I thought sounded good on bass, even the bass ones. If you are limited to Boss pedals you have to choose between a lot of poor options, IMO. If you get a LS-2 you can probably make it work, since you can mix your dry tone in to compensate for the low end loss.

gh0st42 likes this.
  12. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Welcome.
    It really depends how awesome you want your life to be. If you want Estonia and Sweden to know you mean business I'd recommend something like this.
    The following 100 posts will be chock full of second and third best choices.
    87B74114-7402-492E-8AC4-F33DD81A65DB.jpeg

Tommy V likes this.
  13. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    All. Of. Them.

14. Jakeman

Jakeman Swamp Thing Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2006
    New Orleans, LA
    If the range of pedals that are available to you, due to location, are only big companies such as BOSS, maybe take a look at MXR and Aguilar as alternatives. As far as I'm aware, they're widely available. Don't worry about power supplies at this point - a Truetone 1Spot will work for now.

15. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    At this point, you should get something simple with multiple effects like a Zoom B1. That way you can see what kinds of effects you like and will use. Once you know what you are looking for, THEN you can expand into single pedals of higher quality.

Zoom B1 FOUR Bass Multi-effects Processor

16. nilorius

nilorius Inactive

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    If You count the tuner as a pedal, that's the start, You actually don't need a big pedal board, 3-4 pedals will do well. Just think think what kind of a music do You play more, do You play solos often, do You like Your sound driven, are You interested in synthetic sound. Don't buy eerything You like and that is cheap and seems cool. Believe me - after some time You will open Your mouth and think of wanting to sell 3/4 of Your great pedal board. Always think twice.

17. Lauri Lahtinen

Lauri Lahtinen

Sep 1, 2020
    Ok, is the Boss Od-1 really that bad? I thought it would be a wise investment since its vintage and i thought it was good. But ill take all of your know ledge with pleasure.

18. Lauri Lahtinen

Lauri Lahtinen

Sep 1, 2020
    Btw, what is the best compressor? Price can be from 80€-180€. Something relatively easy to come by.

19. Jakeman

Jakeman Swamp Thing Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2006
    New Orleans, LA
    The MXR one is popular, and pretty available.

20. Malafaia

Malafaia

Jan 30, 2018
    Hi and welcome!

Try a zoom b1one or zoom b1four. They are low priced and even that the effects are not the highest quality on market, you can get a good idea of what effect does what.
    I do like the choruses and delays, the distortions are not my preference. Even distortions being not great for me, I can understand the difference from MXR M80 to a sansamp for instance.
    Also they have tuner, drum kit, aux in and accept earphones for practice as well. The best all-in-one practice/experimentation tool someone can get!

Shorelinegold, B-Lo, lucas303 and 4 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 22, 2021