1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what pedals u guys recomend?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fernan, Sep 9, 2008.

1. im a bass player from dominican republic and the use of pedals in my country its almost taboo since the 90 % of the bass player are salsa and merengue players and im into rock, pop rock, indie and now im making a metal project and since my pedalboard its really lonely with just a boss tuner and a mxr 10 band eq.....what u guys would recomend to expand my sound?...right now my first buy its gonna be a overdrive and im in the middle of a ibanez and a boss odb 3?....what more options i have?

2. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    I just bought a fulltone bass drive...

its awesome.. expensive but it is pretty much the overdrive sound I have been searching for and buying pedals over the last 5 years to find.

3. I like the phat hed 7,...
    its distortion is not overkill more overdrivey with a touch of distortion but the overdrive on it is pretty decent :)

4. Noosh

Noosh

May 1, 2006
    North Carolina
    +1

the PD7 is a great pedal, especially for the price. its sitting on my board right now, i dont use it for OD or distortion much though, even though it does a good job with both. i use it on clean with the attack function on, i turn it on when i want to get a slightly gritty/clangy type sound, not sure how to describe it really. as far as a versitile distortion pedal goes i think i would recommend you look into the digitech bass driver, it can cover tones from OD to Distortion and even a decent fuzz, and i dont think its that pricey either. i traded for mine =] .

5. Hola
    for OD i have a ElectroHarmonix English Muff'n, it rocks.The Fulltone Bass Drive is also very popular here.
    other pedals?
    chorus,phaser would be a good start for your style of music.

suerte! la banda suena super.

6. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    I would say no pedals. With a metal project, and the buzzy/thrashy guitars and crazy drums, it seems like a sonic stew that begs for a solid low end foundation of sound that is "un-fooled around with".

Or, what is the most typical objection from a bass player's point of view, regarding metal band recordings? Right- where's the bass?

Pedals which suck out the low end or muddy it up with effects do you no favors in this regard.

7. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Hola Fernan,
    I listened to the track that plays on your Myspace page; you guys are good, you have a good clean sound. I actually think your mix is so clean that some effects on the bass would fit right in, and make the overall sound of the song more exciting. Do you listen to Rush? Geddy's use of overdrive is a famous part of why their songs sound a bit more "edgy" and exciting than many other pop-rock songs.

One of the main tricks for getting a professional overdriven sound like Geddy's is parallel tracking. It means having one channel of clean bass and one channel of dirty/overdriven/distorted bass. You can achieve this by having two amps, or by splitting your signal into two channels of a mixer, or by using a splitter/mixer pedal called a "blender" (search on the word blender here for more details). Many of us choose the blender pedal option because it is much smaller, easier, and cheaper than the other options; but there are benefits to the other options as well.

If you use parallel tracking, then you can use any distortion pedal- it doesn't matter if it's a "bass pedal" or how good or how cheap. Just blending a grindy distortion with your clean bass signal will get you a lot of great sound and range of possibilities.

Also, just experiment with any kind of guitar effects, they can all sound great on bass, sometimes with blending/parallel, sometimes just straight through the effect. Try every pedal you can get your hands on.

Si quieres que explico en espaƱol, puedo intentarlo. ;)

8. thanx everybody!!!! and thanx bongomania i got in english but if u wanna practice ur spanish..go for it!

9. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
    Electro-Harmonix Steel Leather is fantastic for metal.

10. hey fernando,
    i checked out a few of your tunes, and when i was listening, i kept thinking that a overdrive/fuzz/distortion with a clean blend and strong midrange might be good (i kept thinking of the BronzeMaster effect on my Line6 software - which is based on the Maestro Brassmaster, you can get a clone/tribute pedal called Malekko B:assMaster, which i own), i also own a MXR Bass blowtorch, which is cheaper and just as effective (slightly different sounds tho)
    i'll record you a demo so you can see what you think.

i like the blowtorch coz of its synthy buzz, and although i only use it in one song with my band, its a vital part of the song, and its the only pedal i never think of selling. i think it might work well with your sound, but of course im big on my synthy fuzzes, but if u like it, then do some research, its 18v power, as opposed to the regular 9v so its a bit of a beast, id say its probably the same size as your 10-band EQ

heres the demo
    http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6880146

11. oh yeah was going to add,...
    getting the ProCo turbo rat is good cos it has a blend already (filter knob) but you do lose a little bit of the lows,... still sounds good though!