1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What percentage of TB loves / hates relic finishes??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RichSnyder, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Not disagreeing with any of that, My issue is when one person is called a "poser" (something i hadnt heard since i left high school til i joined the bass community) and another person who is hero when both bought the wear on their bass

2. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Them pre-washed jeans got no mojo.

3. Referencing the fact that the Jazz Bass was introduced in 1960, one would assume. I’ ve been waiting for someone to comment on that but didn’t want to be the first.

Rezdog likes this.
  4. togril

togril

Jun 29, 2012
    Darwin Australia
    No. and if I did I would strip it. "Burnished" "Patina" "Weather Worn" "Waxed Beards" "Settler Look" "pointy Shoes" "3D Printed Latte" "unlaced brown boots" "Styled 30's Haircut" "Grey Tint". No No No. Woollen Socks no.
    No, non niet, Nein. And it's not because I am bald. I am typing this whilst crying.

5. togril

togril

Jun 29, 2012
    Darwin Australia
    Yes - but your's is different - your's looks very nice indeed and isn't "fake".

6. vibroverbus

vibroverbus

Mar 20, 2018
    Youre selective reading Marikk. A Poser is Posing, thats' the difference. If someone has a relic, and says "yeah that's my prized relic isn't it great, it was made last week!" and really in his heart isn't trying to fool people... then he's not a Poser, he's just a guy w/ a relic.

But you're also willfully misconstruing that post, which was not to rip people who like relics... if you love an ugly terrible beltsander relic, then more power to you.

I was just clearly responding to the claim that no-one "never ever" has actually tried or wanted to fool people. That's a ludicrous claim, and I was just pointing out that theres all different categories of ways people have tried / hoped to fool people.

In my previous post hopefully its clear that I'm not condemning anybody who loves their silly relic. Have at it. If its a perfect perfect one that's not overdone, I may even admire it. More likely I'll think its silly and ugly, but have at it... but now I'm repeating myself...

ajkula66 likes this.
  7. Not really selective as that line...Poser is actually the war cry of the people that venomously hate, with some weird aggressive hate relic'd instruments. Here its rather tame as the mods cracked down on that behavior a bit. But in Facebook groups its nasty. Its like you banged their sister then tried to sell them the used rubber

As for what you describe as a poser, Around here we call them liars, Generally the bass isnt where they started lying. but for the people i know with relics(i dont actually own one) they dont pretend but they also dont baby it as much as i do my shiny ones. If i came across a used Road worn jazz, id buy it for sure now.

As for relics, Body appearance aside, Those necks are wonderful. Completely broken in and wonderful feeling

8. vibroverbus

vibroverbus

Mar 20, 2018
    No. No, I was not selective at all in addressing your comments. You very clearly implied that I was calling all relic-owners Posers. I did no such thing, and, again, was making an entirely different point. I've now said numerous times that I'm not condemning relic owners yet you still try to make it out that I am - I'm very clearly not a 'venomous hater'... IF you bother to actually read what I wrote instead of knee-jerk reacting to some entirely different sentiment.

In fact what you say about "liars" is exactly the point I'm making, but for some reason its OK if you say "liars" but not if I say "posers"... mmmmmok.

9. You had nothing to do with my original point other than you brought posers up. My point was that if the person who buys a $700 relic is a poser because he didnt wear it in himself, Than the person who buys a $12,000 vintage instrument is just as much as poser as he didnt wear it in himself either

Your involvement in my point ended after bringing the word up

10. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Don’t hate...... just don’t care for it. Seems cheesy to me. I like things stock and minty.

11. Pops OB

Pops OB

Nov 4, 2016
    I get pretty pissed when I find damage or wear on my basses, but it happens.

To me, it’s no different than a car. Why on earth would somebody take a hammer or a belt sander and relic a car... to show that you’ve been driving it longer than you really have?

Jim C likes this.
  12. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Really? That's the best your imagination can come up with?

Ever heard of rat rods? It's no different than the pre-washed jeans you wear. Or distressed wood flooring & cabinetry. Just a finish choice. No more, no less. I can't get my head around those who can't get their head around the fact it's just one of a myriad of options.

Marikk and Pops OB like this.
  13. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    This is not something I'd bother to love or hate. I probably wouldn't buy a reliced bass but if it sounded that good. . . I might!

Can I vote yes and no?

14. Pops OB

Pops OB

Nov 4, 2016
    Lol! Never worn pre-washed Levis. Ever. Don’t have distressed wood flooring or cabinetry. Sure it’s a choice, and some like it. So, why not take a hammer to your car?! I’ll bet you can get your head around that one.

Jim C likes this.
  15. Pops OB

Pops OB

Nov 4, 2016
    If I really liked how it played, I’d buy it and unrelic it. But that’s just me.

Jim C likes this.
  16. Like light relic !

17. Seano76

Seano76

Apr 10, 2018
    Relic'd guitars are a dumb trend. When I was a kid, a scratch on a guitar = a discount.

18. I'd buy an old actually worn bass, but not a new one, where I pay through the nose for the privilege.

Jim C likes this.
  19. Damnit - my side of this very, very important argument is losing.

20. This wins

screenshot_20180807-091113_ebay-.

Marikk likes this.