1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What percentage of TB loves / hates relic finishes??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RichSnyder, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. I'd rock that like a hurricane

db59 likes this.
  2. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    schenectady, ny
    Stop the hate. I vomit on bass guitars for a living, ok? Just the other day, I got a custom order for a urine-soaked fingerboard w/ a fecal-spattered body. I had to eat a whole pizza in one sitting to get the proper effect. Some days, I regret my career choice, but the demand is there, and...oh Jesus not again..hold on I'll brb....

Jim C likes this.
  3. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    This is actually not true.
    Rat rods came about becasue a lot of guys didn't have the money for chrome or nice paint jobs.
    You used primer to keep it from rusting until you saved up for paint.
    Same thing for headers wrapped in high heat tape, no headliners, silver painted bumpers, barren interiors, etc.

Pretty snarky today boys.
    Edit:
    It's a freaking finish; no reason to poop on your fellow bass players.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    Rezdog and Pops OB like this.
  4. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    It's actually a bit more complex than this. I mean yeah you should be able to play any bass you take on stage, but I've been on stage enough (doing much more than just playing bass) to know that it's showbiz. How you look can matter. And as you know on stage it's a "set" so the gold chairs are not real gold and the reliced bass may not be old and used. But there are too sides to every coin, i mean an instrument with a true story where your pick over the years has worn a hole in it is also a cool "look". I could go with that.

So I voted "no" but it needs to be explained. What I meant was I wouldn't buy a factory reliced bass for myself. I just don't much like the "frekin' finish" personally. On the other hand I have no problem with a bass worn out by me and even have no problem considering a well-worn bass from someone else if it's a killer instrument. And to make matters worse if some gig requires a reliced bass for the looks, being professional says if they want it, you give it to them. But I really don't look at my bass collection and dream of dragging them on a chain behind my pickup to get just the look vibe I want. I like shiny and new much better.

And hey, yet one more relic story. One day I"m wandering Sam Ash guitar department and on the wall was all kind of guitars, but of interest was this pair of Fender strats. One was brand new and shiny and had some (not cheap) price on it. Next it was the same thing but reliced at twice(!) the price. Well naturally this set me off and I"m making all manner of disparaging remarks about it, and the counter guy says, "Hey, don't judge this reliced guitar until you've played it. And hands the reliced strat to me. HOLY CRAP! We say "plays like butter", but this one played like WARM BUTTER. And that not only shut me up but seriously messed with my mind!

FacStudio and Marikk like this.
  5. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    While that's how the rat rod movement got started many now see it as a viable aesthetic. Some like their show cars, some their rat rods. But as you say, it's just an freaking finish.

6. db59

db59 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2015
    20180712_133341. upload_2018-8-10_8-26-25.
    relic truck......me likes....oh no!!!!

Johnny Crab and Marikk like this.
  7. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA
    Thats sort of what I was getting at in an earlier post I made about the Journeyman 1960 JB i recently bought. Its an amazing sounding/playing bass..

I don't know if it's because it's a custom shop product or if it's something intrinsic to the relicing process (or a combination of both) but not all relicd instruments are equal.

bassbenj likes this.
  8. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Endorsing Artist: AlienAudio Basses
    True, but not all non-reliced instruments are equal as well. I had to go with generalities with the question.

9. FacStudio

FacStudio Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2016
    Worcester, UK
    Yeah, that dumb trend that’s latest 15 yrs already.

db59 likes this.
  10. Raw N Low

Raw N Low If I can't hear it, hopefully I'll feel it Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    Nope.

Charge me a premium and a wait time to make a custom color and then run a belt sander over it? Nope.

Custom hardware premium just to run it through a salty dishwasher? Nope. Nope.

Again, don't even get me started on high cost clones and "inspired" gear. I'm not paying for $350 for Chuck Taylors just because Nike decided to give it a go.

Rezdog likes this.
  11. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy Supporting Member

Voted. And own a RW Precision. It didn't ask if I would buy another one.

12. Rapisme

Rapisme Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2007
    RAPISME
    Hehe, no comments:roflmao:

13. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    I voted but its not as simple as that

I would purchase a USED bass relic'd but I wouldnt purchase a new one (unless it was so magical to me that David Copperfield would pop out if it), so I couldve voted either way

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  14. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Aparently calling this trend dumb hurts peoples feelings and they call you out as being disrespectful although I agree 100%.
    Also, IMO, grinding the finsih off an instrument does not improve the tone, sustain or playability.
    It does ruin a smooth high gloss finish.

15. Bought a JMJ Mustang which is reliced to look like his. I had a 67 Mustang the same color which seems to be rare color. Sold it in college because not playing, l saw his and had to have it, if I had played all these years it probably would look like that. It plays great.

Marikk likes this.
  16. vibroverbus

vibroverbus

Mar 20, 2018
    See that’s not really a “relic” as term is widely commonly used. That’s an art finish. I actually wouldn’t buy that bass as it’s not to my taste but I can admire it and respect it.

17. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I would purchase a bass that had a relic finish if it was through natural means and not done intentionally. Even better, an old bass that I myself had created that relic finish where every ding or scratch has a story to tell. I personally don't see the point of basses that have a faux relic finish -ones where the signs of wear are exactly the same for all basses of that model, and in turn identical to the relic finish on the bass of some great bass player who passed away. Just my opinion, I know some people like them, but not for me.

18. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    We'll have to wait for about 250 years and a shipwreck for that to be a 'relic'

19. Screw that. We may not live that long, so Warwick saved us the time.

For a few thousand bucks we can make our post-apocalyptic, dystopian fashion statement right now!

What's not to like? ;)

20. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    To each there own, personally they look very fake to me, I've never seen a really convincing relic job..ever. But if that sort of thing works for you then by all means, get you some reliced bass.

I like them all sweet and shiny myself, if its a nitro finish the relicing will take care of itself over time.

FacStudio likes this.