1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What percentage of TB loves / hates relic finishes??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RichSnyder, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

This guy gets it ^^*^

2. .
    If you're daft enough to buy a "'51 Jazz bass", you wouldn't have to jump off a bridge. You'd probably walk out in front of a bus on your way to the bridge. ;)

MarkJC8, dagrev and fretno like this.
  3. Some relic jobs look super fake, almost embarrassingly so. Like the Sandberg "hardcore aged" finish. I used to wonder why a builder of fine basses (and they are) would put out such a phony looking relic job. Then it hit me.....they aren't going for an authentic play wear look, they're doing a deliberate "ironic relic" vibe. I get it now. I don't want one, but I think I see the artistic statement.

upload_2018-8-6_21-41-55.

4. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Trending in no particular direction Supporting Member

Mmmmm... Firemist Gold....no fretboard markers. Good start.

Marikk likes this.
  5. MMiller28

MMiller28

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I voted "no".

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Poly finish after 10 years, 2005 to 2015. Old pic, wear has increased since. I didn't bother to cover my belt hardware once the bass got a little dinged, but my point is that the rash is from playing, not "relicing".

20150829_163600.

I bought the bass brand new so the wear is all mine... not that it matters. I've seen relic finishes that have much more attractive looking wear.

7. JimChjones

JimChjones

Aug 6, 2017
    SE England
    Yup. I own a Paisley JV telecaster. Not because I like Paisley telecasters, but because the previous owner couldn't sell it at the normal price because it was paisley. I'm now glad I never refinished it, but if I ended up with one of the more stupid heavy relic jobs like the dual finish ones I'm pretty sure I'd have to repaint that...

8. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    "NO COMMENTS OTHER THAN - I VOTED!!!!"
    Riiiight. Good luck with that.

I am ambivalent about them. I think they are a waste of money to pay for the road wear process, and I believe that "vibe" or "mojo" is objectively BS. I own a Vintage Icon series jazz that just happens to be road worn, but that wasn't a buying feature for me. It just wasn't as boring as the other models.
    The only time I am into it is if it makes the instrument look like something that isn't just another cookie cutter bass.

9. FacStudio

FacStudio Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2016
    Worcester, UK
    Relics are simply a type of finish. Nobody ever bought a relic to fool others that is old, never ever. They do have a feel and a vibe for people who like that finish and you either like or don't like. I 'hate' Olympic white and black, and any Warwick/Spector looking basses, so it's definitely an individual choice thing. There are of course good and bad relics and the only ones I personally like are Sandberg's (which I guess is why Fodera choose them to do the work on the $15K+ Victor W replica basses). They are a custom built bass, individual and consistently great playing instruments that suit me and that's all that matters to me anyway.

I love aged instruments generally because I see it as a type of finish, but I would never criticise someone who doesn't. It's a personal choice at the end of the day.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    Marikk likes this.
  10. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    What about a new car, a granite counter top, or your girlfirend?

11. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    What percentage of TB loves / hates relic finishes??

I’d say 100%.

12. Lance Bunyon

Lance Bunyon

Jul 17, 2018
    Perfect maths.

13. vibroverbus

vibroverbus

Mar 20, 2018
    Is there room in your happy fantasy bubble for me too? ;)

DEFINITELY some people out of all the millions and millions of players and not-really-players-but-I-sure-like-to-buy-guitars have bought them to fool people. For SURE!

One obvious category are the counterfeit vintage attempts to cash in on vintage guitars. If you don't think that has ever existed, then your bubble's impenetrability membrane is impressive.

The other category is the poser impressor who'd really like you to think he as a real "road worn" old hoss up there on stage with him. Those guys probably even fall into 2 sub-categories...

The ones that will fess up if asked, but are still really happy in the meantime for people otherwise to take the bogus-Fender-decals on their relic'd partscaster at face value...

Then then ones who will keep the act up and truly try to pass it off as real.

I've had for sure bogus guitars pitched to me with full seriousness (last one was a total POS possibly-Squier more-likely-a-random-rock-bottome-POS-import-junk Tele body with Fender logo neck that was probably just from a slightly-less-crappy not-Fender than the horrible body was...)

I've asked guys at gigs about guitars and got the sheepish confession answer.

And I've had my strong suspicions about braggarts claiming silly vintage stuff for guitars that looked for sure like a screwdriver and a belt sander had been used with little finesse.

If you think any and all of those things "never ever" happen, then I admire the snow-white purity of your faith in humanity...

ajkula66 likes this.
  14. therumour

therumour

Jan 5, 2014
    I vote(d) yes... If it were a relic'd 2018 vehicle, would you be concerned about parking it in a tight parking space, parking it out on the street or driving it through a hailstorm?

15. I see no difference in these "posers" who buy a relic'd guitar for $700 and someone who paid $12,000+ for something someone else owned and worn in decades ago. Not one difference at all, If you didnt put it there yourself then you have no claim regardless if its manufactured or real wear if you didnt do it whats the difference?

16. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA
    Theres a difference. The "decades old" guitar/bass has decades of scars and gunk on it that give it mojo, the new owner will add on to that (note: I dont even like the word mojo but its one of the few instances where I think it can be used appropriately).

Nothing wrong with relic'd instruments, and while most look cool, they certainly aren't the real deal.

17. ADEB503C-D28E-4384-A340-E293EC6B6C4E.

18. Just as an example, I’m a bass player/ woodworker restoration pro with over 30 years tinkering with all kinds of finishes. This is a parts bass, that was an experiment to hone building skills, and setups. I won’t go into details on how this one started, but let’s just say I had nothing to lose. Love it or hate it it plays great with a very vivid mid range.

19. Youre still paying for someones elses DNA and damage. You didnt have any part in it. You paid for the condition. Just like the person will add to the purchased damaged bass, the person that bought a relic will add their own wear. Both people are still the same, The paid for someone else to damage the bass. The only difference is someone paid $700 and someone paid $12,000

20. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Not quite.

A second-hand Flea JB will not play or sound like a genuine pre-'63 Jazz. In all fairness, it's not supposed to. That's where the Custom Shop offerings enter the stage, and at a vastly different price range.

Some people simply enjoy playing older instruments. That's all there is to it, at least when it comes to players, not collectors.

Personally, I both expect and accept wear on a decades-old-instrument, not on a brand new one. To each their own.