Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what percentage of...................

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by patrickroberts, Mar 10, 2001.

1. patrickroberts

patrickroberts

Aug 21, 2000
    Wales, UK
    what percentage of demo tapes going to record companies alnd a band a record deal?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    My guess would be: less than 1%

BTW: With cheap CD burning available nowadays, tapes wouldn't exactly increase your chances....

3. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    I guess big record companies event don't listen to tapes anymore, only CD.

4. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    a few years back I sent 5 cds to big name record companies. even though I knew better. Didn't get as much as a rejection letter. I guess they're still making up theirminds about us

5. Yeah, demos are like resumes; there's a blizzard of 'em out there. To get my foot in the door with a given label, I'd make friends with someone who's already signed, then ask them introduce me to their contact in the company.

6. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Sometimes, it's all about who you know.

7. Damn straight. These kids in this band is getting signed and the suck! I'm not jealous, but c'mon! It's just b/c they're friends with some bigger bands

8. Well, look at it this way. If your band is better, the technique ought to work even better for you than it did for the other band.

9. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Well first of all you are going about it all wrong! If you want signed today you need to sell youre bass and find a bunch of other guys(about 4) i guess the get some wireless mics and start dancing and singing really stupied songs! Or maube youre lucky and youre a spanish lover! Or you could keep youre bass and just learn how to play open strings and thats all all get 3 other guys that suck just as band then make a video of you running around the city naked! Or maube better yet paint your face white and get some creepy looking contacts and dress like a woman and sing about having sex with youre mother or somthing!

10. More often, its about who knows you.

FF

11. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

In my experience, and that of friends, a very small percentage. The smaller the label, the better the chances.

The most effective way I know to make a dent is to pack up and go to a city where you'll get some exposure. LA and NYC are the traditional places, of course. But a local band went to Phoenix and got picked up there. In N. America, Vancouver, Toronto, Dallas, Atlanta, and Seattle can be points of opportunity.

The reason for the exposure is that recording companies have policies about solicited and unsolicited demos. This is where the legal department gets involved, and many companies only give consideration to solicited demos which AR or other people in the company have asked an artist to submit. And the asking happens because they heard the artist or a reliable insider heard the artist and mentioned it to the company contact.

Initially, the artist doesn't get a "record DEAL," in most cases. What it amounts to, generally, is a loan. The artist signs a contract and the company fronts money for recording and touring which generate dollars that repay the company for the initial investment. So, it isn't all that unusual for an artist to have an initial song chart decently and still end up broke. :rolleyes:

12. There aren't a whole lot of musicians who have thought and spoken of the exploitation of musicians as well as Courtney Love, whose eloquent and incendiary <a href="http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2000/06/14/love/print.html">commentary on Napster</a> on Salon last June should be enough to torque any musician's jaws up to a few hundred foot-tons. I'd like to see her appointed our first US Secretary of Culture.

13. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

If country music or Christian alternative or gospel music is your forte, then Nashville is the recording center for these genres and you may have a crack at getting "discovered" playing in one of the local honkey tonks for country or in a local church (there are many here) for Christian alternative and gospel.

Though major record companies have heardquarters in Nashville, the country music industry is somewhat depressed and sales were down markedly last year. It is VERY competitive to get a country contract with a record company here.

JO

14. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I read the first part of that article... I'm going to go cry in the corner now...

Ah well, it's not so bad. Bar bands are fun!

15. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Courtney makes some interesting points (for once)... reminds me of a story Keith Mullin, the guitarist in a band that were quite big ten years ago, the Farm, told me.

He told me that once a lawyer, who had been appointed by the record company to look after the Farm's affairs, took the band out to dinner. They went to a swish restaurant down in London, and had the most expensive food and champagne. At the end of the evening, the lawyer paid the bill.

A few months later, found out what had happened - not only had the lawyer paid for everything with their money, he also charged them his usual fee for the time they spend with him in the restaurant! :eek: Basically, despite a few hit singles in the UK, and an album that sold pretty well, Keith ended up teaching the likes of me how to read a major scale.

16. yeah i met a guy once who was a bassist/vocalist for a christian alternative band. I knew him for about a month and then his band got signed. Last time i talked to him his band was moving to Nashville so they could record and still stay in the same area. Haven't heard from him since, but he also told me alot of christian record labels are there.

17. sn0wblind

sn0wblind

Apr 20, 2000
    Ontario, Canada
    If you make a demo tape/CD make sure it's copyrighted!!![B/], if the comany likes a song they might rip you off and use it, I heard there is some address you could send your tape/CD to and for 20 bucks you could get whatever's on the album copyrighted, I dont know the exact address, or what not....but Im sure it helps.....