What picks

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Wild Bill, Jan 25, 2002.

1. Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Dec 30, 2001
    Boston MA
    Hey everyone I was sitting in front of my computer and my friend called and asked if I wanted to go to GC on saturday so I was wondering what kind of picks are the best to use (I do Goldfinger type songs and I use both fingers and pick) I want to know what thickness and what brand are the most efficient( did I spell that right?):eek:
  2. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    It is all a matter of taste. I think a standard 1mm pick would work the best for you. Picks like "The Big Stubby" by Jim Dunloup give you a duller, thuddier sound. Ask the sales people if you can try out some picks on a bass threw and amp. See what the sound diffrences are and find the sound you like best.
  3. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    It depends on what you like best. Many people use heavy gauge picks because they sound stronger, but I use Medium (.73) Dunlop Tortex (the yellow ones). Just my preference, you may totally disagree. Since they are cheap, why don't you buy a variety of styles, thicknesses, etc. and see what you like best?
  4. 3mm Stubby.. sounds the best imho.. thinner picks give too much " poing " and too little bass..

the trick with a pick(tm) is.. you have to learn how to play with it delicately.. if you play too hard, it sounds like poo.. if you play it delicately, it sounds much better
  5. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Green Dunlop .88 tortex been using them for years!
    Good stiff tone!
    Buy a few different gauges and see what feels & sounds right for you and your playing style:)
  6. Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Dec 30, 2001
    Boston MA
    I use the Green Dunlops now too theyre great.but I am goin to try some different textures before I make my descision.
  7. If I were you i'd buy a few of each gauge.
    that's what I do I use all kind of picks, when I play punk and ska I use thinner picks because they're brighter than the heaivier ones, but when I play Heavy stuff like metal or hardcore I use heavy picks
  8. Anybody try Felt picks. I got a few a while back cause I just can't hold plastic picks, they keep slipping around in my hand. They don't really give that Poink sound, closer to a finger but more precise. I do find they don't last very long and I have to get GC to order them cause they generaly don't carry them at the one I go too.
  9. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Clayton 1.0, good middle of the road pick.

10. I use white Fender 351's Medium thickness. It's all you ever need for guitar or bass.
  11. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I like Jim Dunlop nylons (.88mm). I like them cuz they have a little bit of grip on 'em -- I tried both the Gator Grips and the Tortex, but there's nothing to hang on to!
  12. purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    Jim Dunlop 3mm Big Stubby.

A man's pick. :D
  13. red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    I would go with the big stubby, nice purple colour
  14. I've used the Jim Dunlop Big Stubby picks too - but find them a little small to handle!!! I've settled on the 2.0mm Jim Dunlop picks - physically bigger, let's me get a better grip of them. They're purple too - my favourite colour!!!:D
  15. red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    i have only ever seen them in purple, i like the 3mm,
    i also bought a big giant triangle thing once, it was really big, over 1 inch in legnth, i was also very afraid it would scratch the sexy tanglewood so i promptly chucked it in the bin :D
  16. I like the thin ones better, it makes it go "PONK!".
  17. I used to use light (<1mm) picks because I could play faster with them. Now i dont use picks anymore ( Yesterday I even noticed that I CAN'T play with a pick anymore :eek: )
  18. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    when i do use a pick,i use the pick and purple ones(no im not)i just think theyre the best thickness.theyre .96 and and 1.14.the ones that are used for guitar are toooo thin,and the 3mm are too thick.i like the ones i use because theyre very stable yet not too thick.
  19. Since the day I got my crap-bass when I was 12 until now, I have used the same orange .60 Dunlop Tortex pick. It's beat to hell, but it's mine :)

If I really get on it, yeah, it gets twangy. But I play very lightly with it, and I get better "pick attack" by using the thin one rather than a thick one. It only gets twangy if I play hard with it.

20. aFTER RE-READING your post I found that you may like either th jim dunlop tortex .73 or .60
    because your sound will be a bit more edgy and will sound happier (which is good for ska)
    I would also recommand that if you use those picks to pick not too close from the bridge or it will sound too much like boing boing. I would tell you to pick just middle way between the neck and the bridge,
    try to find the sweet picking spot on your bass.