1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

what pickup configuration for my warmoth project?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by theleteri, Aug 26, 2012.

1. theleteri

theleteri

Aug 9, 2008
    I have had the picture of my dream bass in my head for years and i have finally decided to do something about it. In january i purchased a sweet tele style maple/maple neck with pearl block inlays and jazz nut width.

i have finally sold my peavy bass bringing my funds high enough to afford the body. I will be getting a dinky j bass body in daphne blue and use a black pickguard.

now for the hard part... what pickup configuration do i get. i have been spending the last few weeks researching, listening to clips, going to GC to try different pickups and configurations.

here are my findings:
    i don't like 2 jazz pickups. i don't know what it is i just don't like it.
    i DO like p bass pickup sound but there is something missing from the tone.
    i don't like any preamps that i have heard.
    i don't like the double humbucker mm basses
    i don't like and soap-bar style pickups i have played active or not
    the only mm bass i liked was the h/s one with the switch in the h parallel position.
    i love the pj sound but i already have a pj bass and sold a pj to get this one and just sold another pj... i have been playing a pj in one form or another for 4 years.

so in short... i like the pj sound and the mm single h pickup in the mm spot.

like i said i have a pj bass with a dimarzio ultra jazz and a split p pickup. i don't like the sound of the split p alone but the 2 together sound amazing. it is not the prettiest bass (tregan shaman bass) and i want something that will sound different.

my original idea was to put a mm style pickup in the "sweet spot" (Warmoth's term, not mine) but without hearing what it will sound like passive (i don't like active bass sound) before i get it makes it hard to take that leap. i do plan on getting the sans amp bddi soon but will be finishing the bass before that is purchased

ultimately i want a bass with some tonal options. i like the chris squire growl he gets from his rick (but i don't use a pick) and i am looking fore something that can do a fat bass tone for some of my bands song intros and bridges. something that is a bit modern but that still sounds a killer a little over-driven.

sorry for the long post but i am killing my self with this decision and the money is burning a hole in my pocket. i don't want to make the wrong decision because it would be an expensive mistake.

will a mm pickup sound too thin in the "ss" without a preamp and give me the options i am looking for?

on a side note... if i go with the mm in the "ss" will a mm pickguard work with a little alteration or would i have to have a custom guard made?

2. theleteri

theleteri

Aug 9, 2008
    i think i am leaning toward the mm pickup with a series/single/parallel switch. i have even drawn up a custom mm-inspired pickguard for it... i think with the pickguard it is a little reminiscent of a jagstang... what do you think?

Attached Files:

3. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Begging your pardon, but the most sensible way to approach this question is usually to get it all sorted out - before you buy the instrument itself - especially since you have so many particular, explicit dislikes.

Something to consider in preparation for future instrument purchases... :meh:

MM

4. theleteri

theleteri

Aug 9, 2008
    i have not purchased the body yet... i am trying to figure the pickup configuration out before i do. i have all the money and the instant i figure it out i will be ordering the body...

just looking for some opinions and thoughts

5. warnan

warnan

Mar 1, 2004
    Shanghai,China
    what u need is Delano Xtender or hybrid, unique.
    xtender4.
    mc4hy.

6. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Sounds like you might want a sweet-spot humbucker and a split coil neck pickup, be it a J or P.

One of those Delano MM/ J hybrids would be your best bet, IMO, for the bridge pickup.

7. Honestly, you should give JJ another chance. I know what you are talking about when you say "there's just something I don't like about it," I've been there. Trust me, it grows on you. It's a classic for a reason. You'll thank me later.
    Maybe consider Nordy pickups, Big Singles or Fat Stacks. I've got a bass with Fat Stacks and it's awesome. Sounds like a Jazz bass, only thicker/fatter. Might be just the ticket for you.

8. FileBass

FileBass

May 9, 2012
    I would say J humbucker at the bridge, sth like double J pups

9. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    It seems that everything you've listed as preferences has involved having two pickups. Why would you lean towards having a single pickup design?

And before someone else says it, soapbar pickups can be used to house any type of coil design. Don't shop with your eyes alone.

10. NelsonNelson

NelsonNelson

Sep 25, 2011
    Consider Wilde Pickups made by Bill Lawrence himself. Not billlawrenceusa dot com.

11. theleteri

theleteri

Aug 9, 2008
    i have done some more research, both on here and at the guitar store, and have decided to NOT go with mm style pickups at all. i love the IDEA of one pickup but it just does not do what i am looking for.

i have also decided to go with Nordstrand pickups. everything i have heard about them is wonderful and their customer service is unmatched!

now the question is what of Carey's pickups to get. if i go p/j i will get the NP4 and NJ4se

but what of the signature models. i have heard good things about ALL of them... dual coil, big split, big single, and fat stack. i love the mean tone of a hard plucked (or even picked) p pickup and adrian over @ nordstrand said that the BS is the most p sounding thing they have that is not a p... so i think i am leaning toward 2 of those. but maybe the versatility of the FS would suit me well as my band covers many different genres.

BTW, i had always used 45-105 strings (4 string) and dug the sound of my dimarzio split p/ultra jazz. on a whim i decided to try some ernie ball 55-110 strings. holy crap these things kick some a$$. the same tone as before just darkened up a bit. i cut through the mix better and shake the house down without being told to turn down. i love it!

WWSTHEBAND.COM