1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

what pickup for "the anti-Rob Allen" tone?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Hoover, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    So my main fretless bass is a Rob Allen MB-2, and I love the living schidt out of that sound: all warm and woody and fat and almost upright-ish, with those LaBella 760N nylon tapewound strings and the acoustic guitar-style bridge...

But I have this spare Warmoth fretless neck lying around just begging to be built into a new instrument, so I'm thinking I wanna make something that's 180° opposite of my existing fretless: bright, twangy, penetrating, incisive...think roundwound strings on an epoxied fingerboard. Think classic Jaco (or even better, classic Jaco clones). Think Pedulla Buzz. Think "the anti-Rob Allen".

What pickup would you recommend for this application?

I'm leaning towards a single pickup, probably in or near the standard bridge position. Since I hate noise, I'm also leaning towards a humbucker, or at least something that's explicitly a noise-cancelling design. Can't decide if I wanna go w/ passive electronics, or perhaps the ACG EQ02 filter-based preamp. (edit: or perhaps no electronics!)

If there weren't this here newfangled thing called the internetz I'd probably just get a Bartolini soapbar & call it a day. But which Bartolini soapbar? And w/ all the talk of Nordstrands and Lane Poors and Lindy Fralins and a dozen other pickup manufacturer's I've never even heard of, I feel like I need to probe the collective mind of the TB cogniscenti.

So...best pickup for a bright, twangy, penetrating, incisive, strung-with-roundwounds, anti-Rob Allen fretless bass?

2. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    Q-Tuner?

3. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    See, that's how out-of-the-loop I am when it comes to pickups: I've never even heard of "Q-Tuner"! What's their story?

4. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    cool thought on Q-tuner (netherlands, neo-magnet pickups). super clean.

Maybe a Nordstrand. I have one in my Stingray. Very different vibe than the Rob's.

5. People on this forum have mentioned a couple of other pickup manufacturers too, and from what they told me when I was looking for 'something different' for the Bass I'm making were the likes of Villex, Q-Tuner, and SGD. In the end, my reasons for choice altered a bit, but I've heard good things about all of the pickups mentioned so far.

In the end, I went with SGD, and am still looking forward to their arrival :)