1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What pickup is in the fender 63 AVRI?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by zacmac, Oct 28, 2013.

1. zacmac

zacmac

Dec 10, 2012
    I have a late 60's body project that I am working on and I need a pickup to complete it. I listened to a fellow member's clips and I can't get over the sound of the new 63 AVRI P bass. I did an extensive search on the site and cannot find any info on which pickup fender is using or if it is even available? Any help would be greatly appreciated

https://soundcloud.com/lublin-1/2013-avri-63-fender-precision

2. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    On the Fender website it is listed as a "Vintage Split Single-Coil Precision Bass" pickup. Which is the same specification as last years '62 AVRI. You can go to an authorized Fender dealer and simply order the pickup set by part number. Fender used to sell the pickup sets, but stoped.

You're in luck as Musician's Friend still has some in stock
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/fender-original-1962-p-bass-pickup

3. zacmac

zacmac

Dec 10, 2012
    I was thinking that they had re-designed the pickups with the new series and that it might be something different. that 62 original is the same pickup that is in the american standards right?

4. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    The American Standards have Custom Shop p'ups that are simply scrumptious.

5. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Just check with your authorized Fender dealer or call Fender's customer relations. If the part numbers are the same then they are the same. If the part numbers are different then they are different. Just order the one you want. Easy.

6. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

The 63's did change slightly from the 62 Original that is still available for purchase at many places online. I think they both read 10-10.5kohms, but the only visual difference I've noticed is that the poles are not beveled on the 63. Both share the brass base plate.

7. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    I have a Fender US 62 RI Precision and a Fender 63 RI P. The pickup in the 62 RI was horrible.
    They fixed it and the 63 RI P have terrific pickups, they remind me of a Fralin or SD SPB-1 because they have a lot of highs but they are also perfectly balanced. It's a really nice pickup that has its own personality, it's different from the other current American Fender precision pickups.

I do not know what Fender ships as their 62 after market pickup.

8. elBandito

elBandito

Dec 3, 2008
    Rotten Apple
    62RI pickups have same part number as the "original 60's" pickups. I don't think they sound so terrible.

9. zacmac

zacmac

Dec 10, 2012
    agreed. I really like the tone of the new 63 AVRI however and they certainly sound more authoritative in the mids without being muddy

10. petrus61

Me either. I actually preferred the 62 to the newer 63 and 58 pickups. Calling them "horrible" is a bit of a stretch. Alnico5 wound to 10.5kohms on a fiber bobbin...nothing really glamorous but do a much better job of getting a traditional Precision tone then some of the alternatives. I haven't found a P bass pickup that sounds more balanced and warm than the Fralin stock wind, but I will use the 62 or SPB-1 without blinking. The thing I didn't like about the 63 (might have been just the couple that I tried) was that it seemed to exaggerate the highs and lows to a degree that made them feel unbalanced. The 62 (what I'm currently using) is a little bright for my tastes to begin with so the 63 pup wasn't really for me.

11. zacmac

zacmac

Dec 10, 2012
    TI Flats can fix that!

12. petrus61

That's what I'm using!

13. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    Me too! Flats do take the edge off of bright pickup. That's to be considered when looking a pickups. If you are using roundwounds bright pickups might get too bright.

Horrible is perhaps a strong term but they did not sound good. Upgrading these pickups made a big difference, at least to my ears.

Also to be noted here, Fender's pickups have not been homogeneous over the years. My 62 US RI is from 2008.

14. zacmac

zacmac

Dec 10, 2012
    OT but I put GHS tapewounds on my 70 Pbass this week and I am going to try them Sunday in an acoustic setting. Its a pretty conviencable upright sound

15. BigEarl

BigEarl

Sep 29, 2003
    Elgin, TX
    They sound a lot more powerful to me than the standard issue P, I'm always having to turn down the input gain on the amp. They are louder than my other P's: '01 MIA (with Hi Beams), '13 MIA V (Fat Beams). I've got TI flats on mine, but am going to switch to La Bella's soon.