1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What pickup is it? Precision,black, says "PB"

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dave79, Nov 12, 2010.

1. dave79

dave79 Rest well Fish

Got a set of Precision pickups without covers and I want to find out what they are. I'll put a pic up soon but I can describe all the info you need. They are black and have black wrap around the wire. There is a rectangular magnet on the back of each and all it says on the back is PB.

Thanks,
    -Dave

2. I don´t know what brand it could be, but the way you describe it I can tell You those aren´t high quality, good pups don´t have magnets in bar shapes, they charge the pole pieces directly.

3. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    I'm not sure why you feel that way, luzceloffan, but that's certainly not true. A bar magnet-powered pickup can be every bit as good as a pickup with actual magnetic polepieces.

Dave88 - unfortunately, the "PB" is too vague to determine. A pic would be the best.

4. dave79

dave79 Rest well Fish

I will when I can, not much to see that can't be described though. Standard round pole pieces sticking up modern Fender-ish height...a very small hole located in between each set of poles though

5. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6, Hipshot, GHS Strings, Somnium Guitars
    are the holes octagon shaped?...thats usually D'marzios...but you never know.

6. dave79

dave79 Rest well Fish

nope, everything circular

7. dave79

dave79 Rest well Fish

They read 4.1K and 4.08K

5172911938_e72e851892_b.

5172307315_96fb39d155_b.

5172912142_520b8452e2_b.

8. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    I just checked my parts drawer. My stock Fender P's have copper tape on the back and foam tape stuck to the back of the bars. (They're the Fender Vintage that end up in MIM and Highway 1's.) The bar is also a whole lot smaller and AlNiCo I believe.

They're likely ceramic, ~8,1k total output. It could be any set of generic pickups from nearly anything from what we know. I've run through about 3 sets that all are cheap ceramics from Ibanez or Hondo although none said PB.

9. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    they can be, but aside from the dimarzio model P, fralin's steel-pole versions, and G&L MFD pickups, fender-styles with ceramic bar magnets usually aren't. (ceramic is way cheaper than alnico).

the ones in that photo are obviously far-east budget imports.

10. dave79

dave79 Rest well Fish

Cool, I got them in a set with a Basslines Jazz pickup so I thought they might be something with a decent name but I guess not